Register to reply

Sharing files between Operating Systems

by mattmns
Tags: files, operating, sharing, systems
Share this thread:
mattmns
Aug8-05, 10:48 PM
P: 1,123
I currently have Windows XP on hda and Ubuntu on hdb, so what is the best/easiest way to share files between the two? Gracie!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
dduardo
Aug8-05, 11:14 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
Easiest: sftp

Just run the ssh deamon on ubuntu and then use putty on windows to get the file from the server and vice versa. It will take all of two seconds to setup.

More Convinient: samba

Takes a little work. Must be enabled in the kernel. Windows will see the linux box as another drive. The linux box will see windows as a drive.

Here is a tutorial for samba:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#sambaserver
mattmns
Aug8-05, 11:23 PM
Thanks dduardo I will check those out!

faust9
Aug8-05, 11:52 PM
P: 997
Sharing files between Operating Systems

Quote Quote by dduardo
Easiest: sftp

Just run the ssh deamon on ubuntu and then use putty on windows to get the file from the server and vice versa. It will take all of two seconds to setup.

More Convinient: samba

Takes a little work. Must be enabled in the kernel. Windows will see the linux box as another drive. The linux box will see windows as a drive.

Here is a tutorial for samba:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#sambaserver
It sounds like the two OS's are running on the same system so running putty/windows and ssh/Linix at the same time will be tough.

Under Linux you can mount NTFS or FAT file systems(FAT is much easier) I don't recall the details though--I banished Windows a long time ago.

Google "mounting windows XP under Linux" and I'm sure the procedure will pop up.

Good luck.
Nylex
Aug9-05, 03:08 AM
P: 551
Also, you can read/write to FAT under Linux, but only read NTFS. Under Windows, you can access files from Linux with Explore2fs, if your Linux partition uses ext2 or ext3. Not sure if there's a similar program for ReiserFS or other filesystems.
dduardo
Aug9-05, 09:05 AM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
Wow, I was out of it. I thought he had two completely seperate systems.

faust9, your completely right. Creating a fat32 partition would be the easiest way to transfer files between the two partitions.

sorry about that mattmns. I was a little
mattmns
Aug9-05, 09:55 AM
Hmmm, ok I will now check that out

Register to reply