Fixing Annoying Word/Excel Windows Problem

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person's frustration with a feature in Microsoft Word and Excel that causes minimized windows to pop back up when another file is opened. They have tried searching for solutions online but have not found any fixes. The person is asking for tips on how to disable this feature and speculates that it may be caused by shared variables in DLLs. They also suggest a workaround, but caution against trying it with important files.
berkeman
Mentor
This has bugged me for a while, so I finally was trying to figure out how to disable this "feature" today. But Microsoft Help and Google haven't led to any fixes yet.

If I have a Word file open and minimize it, and then open another Word file, the first file window also pops back up and ends up on-screen behind the new Word file window. The same thing happens with Excel files.

Does anybody know how to keep that from happening? It's really annoying; I have the first file window minimized for a reason -- I'm not working on that file currently but will get back to it soon enough that I don't want to close out that window.

Thanks for any tips. :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Versions?

pbuk said:
Versions?
Oh, good point. It's happening to me in Win10, but I don't remember if this happened with any older versions. It seems like it's been an annoyance for several years now...

Overall, it sounds like they are sharing some variables of DLLs that they shouldn't be. I have a browser that behaves in a somewhat similiar fashion.

Just for proof-of-concept:
DON'T TRY THE FOLLOWING WITH ANYTHING IMPORTANT.
A clumsy work-around would be; with both instances open, see if one can be minimized while working on the other instance; check if it works both ways, and also for Saving and Opening without corruption.

Cheers,
Tom

1. How do I fix a frozen Word/Excel window?

To fix a frozen Word/Excel window, you can try closing the program and reopening it, as well as restarting your computer. You can also open the Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and end the program's task if it is not responding. If the problem persists, try repairing or reinstalling the program.

2. Why does my Word/Excel window keep crashing?

There are several reasons why a Word/Excel window may keep crashing, including corrupt files, outdated software, or conflicts with other programs. Try updating your software, repairing the program, or disabling any conflicting programs to resolve the issue.

3. How do I change the default settings for Word/Excel windows?

To change the default settings for Word/Excel windows, you can go to the program's options or preferences menu and make the desired changes. You can also right-click on the program's icon and select "Properties" to make changes to the program's compatibility settings.

4. My Word/Excel window is displaying incorrect formatting. How do I fix this?

If your Word/Excel window is displaying incorrect formatting, it could be due to a corrupt or incompatible font, or a glitch in the program. Try changing the font or reinstalling the program to see if that resolves the issue. You can also try opening the document in a different program to see if the formatting is correct there.

5. How do I recover a Word/Excel document that was lost due to a crash?

If you have lost a Word/Excel document due to a crash, you can try recovering it by going to the File menu and selecting "Open and Repair" or "Recover Unsaved Documents." You can also check the AutoRecover folder in the program's settings to see if a backup of the document was saved. If these options do not work, you may need to use a data recovery software to retrieve the lost file.