Why use a discharge tube instead of a light bulb?

In summary, for a physics lab on diffraction grating, the use of a helium discharge tube is preferred over a light bulb because it emits specific wavelengths of light instead of all wavelengths. The order of diffraction is an integral multiple of wavelengths that allows for constructive interference, and the grating constant, which is the number of slits per unit length, can be obtained by calculating the distance between slits. However, different wavelengths can have the same diffraction angle for different diffraction orders, which may affect the quantification of intensities in the experiment. The helium pattern is also considered to be "cleaner" compared to a light bulb's pattern.
jdog6
I did a physics lab about diffraction grating where we had to determine the angular positions of all spectral lines of the helium discharge tube.

I have 3 questions :

1. Why use a discharge tube instead of a light bulb?
- I think it might be because you would have to break up the white light of the light bulb with a prism but I am not sure if that's right.
2. Define order of diffraction and illustrate it.
-I said that the order of diffraction is an integral multiple of wavelengths that allow for constructive interference. ( I am not sure if destructive interference comes into play here )
3. If "d" is spacing between 2 slits on a grating, how can we obtain grating constant?
- I calculated the values of d but i don't know what grating constant is? I was thinking the number of slits in a certain area but I can't find any info anywhere?

Please help.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
the helium is used instead of a light bulb because a certain element only emits certain wavelengths of light while the bulb would emit all wavelengths, and even if you were to split this with a prism you would still see all the colors and not specific ones.

the order of diffraction is correct by what you said, since the n in the equation [tex]d sin\theta = n\lambda[/tex] refers to the order of diffraction, where n=1 is the first, n=2 is the second and so on.

the grating constant k, is simply 1/d. d is the distance between slits and k, is the number of slits per unit length.

I'd like to add something in regards to #1, if you look at the grating equation, you'll realize that different wavelengths can actually have the same diffraction angle, given their diffraction orders. For example, a 600nm first order ray will defract in the same angle as a 300nm second order ray.

This is a common problem with some gratings when trying to quantify the intensities, though I'm not sure how messy it would look in the experiment. As it has already been stated, the Helium wavelengths are spaced well apart. So in a matter of speaking, the Helium pattern will be more "cleaner" than the lightbulb pattern.

1. Why is a discharge tube more efficient than a light bulb?

A discharge tube is more efficient because it uses a gas or vapor to conduct electricity, rather than a solid filament like a light bulb. This allows for a higher percentage of energy to be converted into light, rather than heat. Additionally, discharge tubes can produce a wider range of colors, making them more versatile for scientific and industrial use.

2. How does a discharge tube produce light?

A discharge tube produces light through the process of gas or vapor ionization. When an electric current is passed through the tube, it excites the gas or vapor particles, causing them to emit photons of light. The type of gas or vapor used determines the color of the light produced.

3. What are the benefits of using a discharge tube in scientific experiments?

Discharge tubes offer several benefits for scientific experiments. They can produce a wide range of colors, making them useful for studying different wavelengths of light. They also have a longer lifespan than traditional light bulbs, making them more cost-effective in the long run. Additionally, discharge tubes can be used in a controlled environment, allowing for precise measurements and observations.

4. Can a discharge tube be used as a replacement for a light bulb in everyday use?

While discharge tubes have many advantages, they are not suitable for everyday use as a replacement for light bulbs. They require a high voltage and specialized equipment to operate, making them impractical for household use. They also do not produce as much light as a light bulb, making them less effective for lighting a room.

5. What are some common applications of discharge tubes?

Discharge tubes have a variety of applications in scientific research and industrial processes. They are commonly used in spectroscopy, where different gases are used to produce specific wavelengths of light for analysis. They are also used in neon signs, plasma TVs, and fluorescent lighting. In addition, discharge tubes are used in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.