Thinking about matrices/polynomials

by eep
Tags: thinking
Share this thread:
eep
Oct30-05, 07:45 PM
P: 227
Hi,
A homework problem I ran across awhile ago asked me to determine if a set of of 2x2 Matrices were a basis for the set of aa 2x2 matrices.

Am I going to run into any pitfalls by thinking about such 2x2 matrices as vectors of 4 components? Basically what I did was turn each 2x2 matrix into a 4x1 vector. Each row represented an entry in matrix A (row 1 was A11, row 2 was A12, row 3 was A21, row 4 was A22).

Basically, I have no problems in dealing with vectors but when I run across problems where I'm given either polynomials or matrices with columns I'm unsure as to how I can approach them. For polynomials I figure I can just treat each power of x as a seperate component of a vector. Any insight would be appreciate and sorry if this post is jibberish, I'm a little tired. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
HallsofIvy
Oct31-05, 05:51 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
As long as you are dealing with matrices as a vector space you are not using matrix product so, yes, you can just think of 2x2 matrices as a 4 dimensional vector.
Hurkyl
Oct31-05, 06:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
Am I going to run into any pitfalls by thinking about such 2x2 matrices as vectors of 4 components? Basically what I did was turn each 2x2 matrix into a 4x1 vector. Each row represented an entry in matrix A (row 1 was A11, row 2 was A12, row 3 was A21, row 4 was A22).
It sounds like you're just using the coordinates defined by the ordered basis:

[tex]
\left(
\left[\begin{array}{ll}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right]
\right)
[/tex]

and using coordinates is fine, though not always the most efficient method of working with vectors.

(Yes, [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ll}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex] is a vector, and so is [itex]x^3 - 4x + 17[/itex]. You sound like you might be confusing yourself by using "vector" as a synonym for "n-tuple")

Register to reply