Register to reply

Improving Vision

by Teegvin
Tags: improving, vision
Share this thread:
Teegvin
Nov3-05, 08:22 PM
P: 37
Is it possible for one's vision to improve?

I've read that myopia can be caused by excessive near work (e.g. reading). Would it be possible for a myope to improve his vision by straining his eyes looking at things in the distance for prolonged periods?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Thai Airways bans shark fin from cargo flights
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
Pengwuino
Nov3-05, 08:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
I highly doubt it although some vision problems can fix themselves naturally over time especially if you are younger. At least, thats what my eye doc says :D
Moonbear
Nov4-05, 10:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
If your vision problems are caused by eye strain (fatigue of the muscles that help your eye focus), and not a problem with the shape of your lens, or the receptors in the retina, then it would be possible to improve your vision using eye exercises to strengthen those muscles (or sometimes just by resting your eyes more so the fatigue goes away). I've also heard the same from eye doctors as Pengwuino has, that some vision problems in children can correct themselves as they grow. In adults, I'm not so sure there's any direction other than worsening of vision as we age.

Register to reply