How is it Possible to Look Near the Sun Without Getting Blinded?

In summary, the sun's small size means that it is not in our field of view, and looking at it directly can damage our eyes.
peter.ell
I've looked into optics and the biology of the eye, and I know that, although the fovea is an area with our highest visual acuity, light is still focused on the retina around the fovea even when we're not looking directly at something. Clearly it is not safe to look direct at the sun, but people often have the sun in their peripheral vision, even very close to their fovea, without losing their sight. My question is how.

The cornea and lens are not so imperfect as to only focus light properly on the fovea, and if we can see the sun clearly in our peripheral vision, then the same intensity of focused light that would ordinarily be hitting the fovea if looking straight at the sun is still striking our retina. So why doesn't it burn our retina or at least cause us to lose our vision in that part of our eyes?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
The sun is very small, in terms of our field of view. You haven't defined what is "close" to the sun, so it is impossible to answer your question in terms of physiology. Looking at a scene and having the sun in your peripheral vision is not a a problem. You are looking around, and the movement of your eyes distributes the radiation from the sun over a wide range of your retina.

I have incipient cataracts at ~59 years because when I was working ski patrol all winter through HS, I needed sunglasses to see, and none of them were designed to block UV. I would have been better off to wear NO sunglasses in the 60's because wearing sunglasses (even "good" ones, like B&L) allowed my pupils to widen in bright situations so that the UV could do even more damage.

BTW, I never un-cap my telescopes during the day, when setting up for an evening of observation. I don't have any solar filters, anyway, and it would be devastating to have one of my nieces, nephews, etc blinded by "taking a peek" when I wasn't watching out for them.

I remember back in elementary school when there was a solar eclipse we went outside but were told not to look at it directly. Confession: I looked. Several times. I was fine.

Just a random story. Also, um, aren't teachers supposed to take courses in child psychology? I'm pretty sure the "Whatever you do, DON"T PUSH THE BUTTON approach" is really counterproductive, especially when you spend all day learning about the eclipse then go outside to look at it through mirrors with paper on them.

1. How is it possible to look near the sun without getting blinded?

It is possible to look near the sun without getting blinded by using specialized equipment such as solar filters or eclipse glasses. These tools block out most of the intense light and heat from the sun, making it safe to look at.

2. Can I ever look directly at the sun without any protection?

No, it is never safe to look directly at the sun without protection. The intense light and heat from the sun can cause permanent damage to your eyes, leading to vision loss or even blindness.

3. Why is it dangerous to look directly at the sun?

The sun emits high levels of ultraviolet radiation, which can damage the delicate tissues in your eyes. This can lead to a condition called solar retinopathy, where the cells in your retina are burned and can cause permanent vision loss.

4. Are there any other ways to safely look at the sun?

Yes, there are other ways to safely look at the sun without directly gazing at it. You can use a pinhole projector or a solar telescope to project the image of the sun onto a surface, allowing you to view it indirectly.

5. What should I do if I accidentally look at the sun without protection?

If you accidentally look at the sun without protection, you should immediately look away and avoid rubbing your eyes. If you experience any symptoms such as eye pain, blurred vision, or loss of vision, seek medical attention immediately.