A question about the minimum/maximum of a convex function

In summary, if a function is convex, then it has only one maximum and no minimum, and infinity and -infinity are not included.
pinodk
I would like to be sure in the following, not prove it, just have it confirmed...
If a function f is convex, then it has

1.) only one maximum and no minimum
2.) only one minimum and no maximum

infinity and -infinity are not included.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are asking. Since you say you want something "confirmed" it would appear you are making a statement: that either one of those two statements can be true for a convex function. That's not correct.

A convex function is a function f, such that the set {(x,y)| y> f(x) } is convex. Given that, on (2) is true.
(1) is true for a concave function.

Oh, ok, I didnt make a clear distinction between a convex and a concave function.

I didnt have a clear definition of convex and concave, so it makes more sense now, given your definition, and concave is then the opposite, and so makes (1) true.

thanks!

In particular, y= x2 is a convex function (the set of point above its graph is convex) and y= -x2 is a concave function (the set of points above its graph is concave).

pinodk said:
I would like to be sure in the following, not prove it, just have it confirmed...
If a function f is convex, then it has
1.) only one maximum and no minimum
2.) only one minimum and no maximum
infinity and -infinity are not included.

Convex...I knew it's concave up or concave down. Well, imagine the graph of y=x^2 or y=-x^2 depending on what you're talking about. It's a simple visualisation any Algebra 2 student can do...

bah...the guy above me wrote this exact thing.

However, I wonder, is there such a thing as Convex?

yes. In terms of functions: convex = concave up & concave = concave down.

I'm guessing that the whole up/down stuff is from a Calculus text by Stewart.

1. What is a convex function?

A convex function is a type of mathematical function that has a graph that curves upwards, and any two points on the graph lie above the line segment connecting them. In other words, the function's second derivative is always positive, which means that it is always increasing or "bending upwards".

2. How do I find the minimum/maximum of a convex function?

The minimum or maximum of a convex function can be found by finding the point on the graph where the first derivative is equal to zero. This point is called the critical point, and it is the point at which the function is neither increasing nor decreasing. To find the minimum or maximum, you can also use the second derivative test or draw a tangent line at the critical point to determine the slope of the function at that point.

3. What is the importance of finding the minimum/maximum of a convex function?

The minimum or maximum of a convex function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and its graph. It can also help us optimize a given function, such as finding the minimum cost or maximum profit in economics or engineering problems.

4. Can a convex function have more than one minimum/maximum?

No, a convex function can only have one minimum and one maximum. This is because a convex function is always increasing or "bending upwards", so it cannot have more than one point where the slope is equal to zero.

5. Are all convex functions symmetric?

No, not all convex functions are symmetric. While some convex functions, such as linear and quadratic functions, are symmetric, others, like exponential and logarithmic functions, are not symmetric. The symmetry of a convex function depends on its algebraic form and its graph.