Determining Convexity: S2 and Operations that Preserve Convexity

In summary, the homework statement states that in order to show that a set is convex, one can either use the definition or show that the set can be obtained from known convex sets under operations that preserve convexity. The Attempt at a Solution provides a rewrite of the set as sums of logs, however this does not seem to help. Finally, the solution provided by the student includes a different approach that leads to a convex set.
perplexabot
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show if the set is convex or not!
S2 =
the_SEt.png

Homework Equations

I know that to show a set is convex you can either use the definition or show that the set can be obtained from known convex sets under operations that preserve convexity.

Convex definition: x1*Theta + (1 - Theta)*x2 ∈ S2
Ops that preserve convex sets (that i know of): Intersection, affine functions, perspective functions, linear functionals.
This formula may come in handy:
formula.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to rewrite the set as:
retry.jpg

I have no idea if that will help me and I also have no idea where to go from here! Using the definition I end up with sums in the log function which leads me no where. I have a feeling this set is not convex but once again I am not sure.
Please any help will be greatly appreciated as I have been thinking about it for a while.

Thank you.

PS: I am able to prove simple things like the convexity of a norm ball or polyhedra but I am not able to do this one.

EDIT: I have scanned a better attempt at this problem, however I am still not able to do it. I feel defeated, it feels bad : (

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Posting working as images is discouraged, for good reasons. It's hard to read and hard to make reference to. It certainly cuts down the number of people who will try to help you.
I can see how to use the given hint for the case where z1=z2, likely you can too.
I did wonder whether it would be sufficient to show convexity in every plane orthogonal to an axis, but that doesn't work. E.g. Z <= xy is convex in all such planes, but not in the plane x=y.

haruspex said:
Posting working as images is discouraged, for good reasons. It's hard to read and hard to make reference to. It certainly cuts down the number of people who will try to help you.
I can see how to use the given hint for the case where z1=z2, likely you can too.
I did wonder whether it would be sufficient to show convexity in every plane orthogonal to an axis, but that doesn't work. E.g. Z <= xy is convex in all such planes, but not in the plane x=y.
Thank you for your time and input good sir. The reason I post my work is because I don't know how to use latex that well. I should probably learn to but I kind of rather work on this homework rather than learn latex (sorry...) I agree with you, this will probably reduce replies.

I actually asked one of my class mates for this, and he told me to use a different approach (Epigraphs!)! Anyway, it was my approach that was off. I could have continued the way I had started but it would have been very gruesome. Here is the solution for anyone interested (i do apologize for it not being in latex format):
solution.png

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set in which a straight line segment joining any two points in the set lies entirely within the set. In other words, a convex set is a set that contains all of its boundary points.

2. How do you determine if a set is convex?

To determine if a set is convex, you can use the "line test." This involves drawing a line between any two points in the set and checking if the line lies entirely within the set. If it does, then the set is convex. Additionally, a set can also be proven convex through mathematical equations and definitions.

3. What are some examples of convex sets?

Some examples of convex sets include circles, spheres, squares, cubes, and regular polygons. In addition, any closed and bounded shape with no holes or indentations can be considered a convex set.

4. Why is it important to determine if a set is convex?

Determining if a set is convex is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as optimization, geometry, and functional analysis. It allows for the identification of important properties and characteristics of a set, which can aid in solving problems and making predictions.

5. Can a set be both convex and concave?

No, a set cannot be both convex and concave. A convex set has the property that any line segment connecting two points in the set lies entirely within the set, while a concave set has the property that there exists a line segment connecting two points in the set that lies outside of the set. These two properties are mutually exclusive, so a set cannot have both of them.