Let R be a commutative ring and let I be an ideal in R.

• Thread starter Icebreaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the question is asking for the validity of two statements: 1) If every ideal in a commutative ring R is principal, then every ideal in the quotient ring R/I is principal. 2) If every ideal in the quotient ring R/I is principal, then every ideal in R is principal. The first statement is true, as shown by the example of R=Z[x] and I=2Z[x]+xZ[x]. The second statement is false, as shown by the example of R=Z[x] and I={polynomials with even constant terms}. The idea of lifting ideals from R/I to R does not hold in general.
Icebreaker
Let R be a commutative ring and let I be an ideal in R.
1. If every ideal in R is principal, then every ideal in R/I is principal.
2. If every ideal in R/I is principal, then every ideal in R is principal.
I must prove or disprove if either is true or false. Can someone tell me whether either is true or false so I can know how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure someone can, but it isn't good for you.

This is exactly analogous to someone doing arithmetic problems and asking for an answer key before they try to solve them.

You shouldn't need to know the answer to a problem before you can solve it. :tongue2:

Last edited:
2 doesn't seem to be true. Consider R=Z[x] and I=2Z[x]+xZ[x]. R/I={0,1}. Every ideal in R/I is certainly principal. However, not ever ideal in Z[x] is principal: for instance, let J={polynomials whose constant terms are even integers}. To show this, suppose J is principal, then J consists of multiples of some element p(x). Since 2 is in J, 2 must be a multiple of p(x), which implies that p(x) must be of degree 0. Since p(x) is in J, it must be +/-2. However, x is in J because it has an even constant. Therefore, x must be a multiple of +/-2. This is impossible since all polynomials involved have integer coefficients. Therefore, J is not principal.

1 is intuitively true, but so far, no luck in proving it. If every ideal I in R is principal, let I={rc:r in R}. R/I={[a]_c : a in R}. If J is an ideal in R/I, then it must be closed under multiplication. I think I can create a contradiction here assuming J is not principal, but I haven't been able to.

Your approach for 2 looks good.

For 1, how far did you get?

Not very far. I can't seem to use the fact that I is a principal ideal anywhere in my proof. What makes R/I where I is principal so special?

Ideals in R/I are lift to ideals in R that contain I

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "lift". Do you mean ideals in R/I are contained in I?

What makes R/I where I is principal so special?
It doesn't.

It seems that a way of understanding the relationships between ideals and principal ideals is to look at matrix groups over the reals with matrix arithmetic defining addition and multiplication.

Some principal ideals for 4x4 matrices:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc}1&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc}.5&.5&0&0\\.5&.5&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

A non principal ideal:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc}1&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Carl

I have the same problem and I still haven't solved it. Any suggestions?

On principal ideals.

Perhaps it is worthwhile recalling the various ways that a primitive ideal can be distinguished from an ideal.

What I recall is that P is primitive if P cannot be written as the sum of two non trivial ideals. A "trivial" ideal would be zero.

Carl

1. What is a commutative ring?

A commutative ring is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements, a set of operations (addition and multiplication), and certain properties that govern the interactions between those elements and operations. In a commutative ring, the order in which you perform addition and multiplication does not matter. Examples of commutative rings include the set of integers, the set of real numbers, and the set of polynomials with real coefficients.

2. What is an ideal in a commutative ring?

An ideal in a commutative ring is a subset of the ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. In other words, if you take any two elements from the ideal and add them together, the result will also be in the ideal. Similarly, if you multiply any element of the ring by an element of the ideal, the result will also be in the ideal. Ideals are important in ring theory because they allow us to study certain properties of a ring by considering a smaller, more manageable subset of its elements.

3. How is an ideal different from a subring?

An ideal is a special type of subring. While both ideals and subrings are subsets of a larger ring, an ideal must satisfy additional conditions, such as being closed under multiplication by any element of the larger ring. Subrings, on the other hand, only need to be closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication by elements within the subring itself. Another way to think of it is that an ideal is a "subsubring" - it is a subset of a subring that also satisfies certain conditions.

4. How are ideals used in mathematics?

Ideals are used in a variety of mathematical contexts, including algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They allow us to study the properties of a ring in a more abstract and general way, without getting bogged down in the details of specific elements. For example, in number theory, ideals are used to study divisibility and factorization of integers. In algebraic geometry, ideals play a crucial role in defining and analyzing algebraic varieties.

5. What are some examples of ideals in commutative rings?

Some examples of ideals in commutative rings include the trivial ideal (containing only the additive identity of the ring), the whole ring itself (known as the unit ideal), and the principal ideals generated by a single element. For instance, in the ring of integers, the principal ideal generated by 2 would contain all even integers. In the ring of polynomials with real coefficients, the principal ideal generated by x^2 + 1 would contain all polynomials with odd degree.