Integral Domains: Homework Statement & Equations

In summary: Think about how you can use unique factorization to show that the ideals can't keep getting bigger forever.
mr.tea

Homework Statement

Let ##R## be a principal ideal domain and suppose ##I_1,I_2,...## are ideals of ##R## with
## I_1 \subseteq I_2 \subseteq I_3 \subseteq ...##
The Question has two parts: 1. to show that ##\cup _{i=0}^{\infty}I_i## is an ideal.
2. to show that any ascending as above must stabilize, i.e. there is a positive integer ##n## with ##I_n=I_{n+1}=...##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with the second question. I tried to assume for contradiction that for every positive integer ##n##, we have ##I_n \subsetneq I_{n+1}## which mean that there is a number ##x\in I_{n+1}## which is not in ##I_n##. Since we are in a PID, we can write ##I_n = (d), \quad I_{n+1}=(e)## ( where ##d,e## are the generators). I also got that ##d \nmid x##, and I tried to write ##\gcd(x,d)## as a linear combination of them... I have ran out of ideas...

Any hint will be helpful!
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Doesn't part one help you out here?

Unfortunately, not too much. The closest relationship between ##x## and ##d## that I have is ##x(1-s)=r\cdot d\cdot n##, where ##r,s## came from ##\gcd(x,d)=sx+rd##, and ##n## came from ##\gcd(x,d) \cdot n=x##

Is it possible that it is related to the fact that we have unique factorization in PID?

Last edited:
mr.tea said:
Is it possible that it is related to the fact that we have unique factorization in PID?
If you can use this result, then it's the step in the right direction.

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a mathematical structure that is used to study algebraic equations and properties. It is a commutative ring in which the product of any two nonzero elements is also nonzero.

2. How do you determine if a ring is an integral domain?

To determine if a ring is an integral domain, you must check three properties: commutativity, associativity, and existence of multiplicative identity. If the ring satisfies all three properties, it is an integral domain.

3. What is the difference between an integral domain and a field?

An integral domain is a ring that contains a multiplicative identity and has no zero divisors, meaning that the product of any two nonzero elements is nonzero. A field, on the other hand, is a commutative ring in which every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, every element in a field has a unique solution to the equation ax = 1, where a is the element and x is the inverse. Therefore, all fields are integral domains, but not all integral domains are fields.

4. How do you solve equations in an integral domain?

In an integral domain, you can use the same algebraic techniques that are used in a field to solve equations. This includes operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, you must be careful to avoid using division by zero, since integral domains have no zero divisors.

5. Why are integral domains important in mathematics?

Integral domains play a crucial role in algebraic number theory, which is the study of algebraic structures that involve numbers. They are also used in many other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, commutative algebra, and algebraic coding theory. Furthermore, the study of integral domains helps to develop a deeper understanding of fundamental algebraic concepts and properties.