Showing isomorphism between fractions and a quotient ring

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a ring isomorphism between ##R\left[\frac{1}{r}\right]## and ##\frac{R[x]}{(rx-1)}## for a commutative ring ##R## with ##1\neq 0## and a nonzerodivisor ##r\in R##. By defining a homomorphism and showing that the kernel is equal to ##(rx-1)##, the isomorphism is proven. The direction "##\subseteq##" is shown by assuming ##p
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

For a commutative ring ##R## with ##1\neq 0## and a nonzerodivisor ##r \in R##, let ##S## be the set
##S=\{r^n\mid n\in \mathbb{Z}, n\geq 0\}## and denote ##S^{-1}R=R\left[\frac{1}{r}\right]##.
Prove that there is a ring isomorphism $$R\left[\frac{1}{r}\right]\cong \frac{R[x]}{(rx -1)}.$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\phi : R[x] \to R\left[ \frac{1}{r} \right]## such that ##\phi(p(x)) = p(\frac{1}{r})##. This is a homomorphism since it is the evaluation homomorphism. Let ##a\in R## and ##k\in \mathbb{N}##, then ##\phi(ax^k) = \frac{a}{r^k}##, and the latter is a general element of ##R\left[ \frac{1}{r} \right]##. Now, we will show that ##\ker (\phi) = (rx-1)##. The "##\supseteq##" direction is clear, since if ##a\in (rx-1)##, then for some ##g(x)\in R[x]##, ##a=g(x)(rx-1)##. Then $$\phi(g(x)(rx-1)) = \phi(g(x))\phi(rx-1) = \phi(g(x))(r\cdot \frac{1}{r} - 1) = \phi(g(x))\cdot 0 = 0.$$

The "##\subseteq##" direction is where I get confused. If the underlying ring were a field I could use the division algorithm, but since it is not I am not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

For a commutative ring ##R## with ##1\neq 0## and a nonzerodivisor ##r \in R##, let ##S## be the set
##S=\{r^n\mid n\in \mathbb{Z}, n\geq 0\}## and denote ##S^{-1}R=R\left[\frac{1}{r}\right]##.
Prove that there is a ring isomorphism $$R\left[\frac{1}{r}\right]\cong \frac{R[x]}{(rx -1)}.$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\phi : R[x] \to R\left[ \frac{1}{r} \right]## such that ##\phi(p(x)) = p(\frac{1}{r})##. This is a homomorphism since it is the evaluation homomorphism. Let ##a\in R## and ##k\in \mathbb{N}##, then ##\phi(ax^k) = \frac{a}{r^k}##, and the latter is a general element of ##R\left[ \frac{1}{r} \right]##. Now, we will show that ##\ker (\phi) = (rx-1)##. The "##\supseteq##" direction is clear, since if ##a\in (rx-1)##, then for some ##g(x)\in R[x]##, ##a=g(x)(rx-1)##. Then $$\phi(g(x)(rx-1)) = \phi(g(x))\phi(rx-1) = \phi(g(x))(r\cdot \frac{1}{r} - 1) = \phi(g(x))\cdot 0 = 0.$$

The "##\subseteq##" direction is where I get confused. If the underlying ring were a field I could use the division algorithm, but since it is not I am not sure what to do.
I haven't done it (a bit late here), but I assume it is something like:

Let ##p(x)=a_n+a_{n-1}x+\ldots +a_1x^{n-1}+a_0x^n \in \operatorname{ker} \phi\,.## Then ##a_nr^n+a_{n-1}r^{n-1}+\ldots +a_1r+a_0 = 0##. So ##a_0=r\cdot b_0## and ##0=r\cdot \left(a_nr^{n-1}+\ldots +(a_1+b_0) \right)## and because ##r## isn't a zerodivisor ##0=a_nr^{n-1}+a_{n-1}r^{n-2}+\ldots +a_2r +b_1\,.##
Now it looks as if a minimal ##n=\operatorname{deg}(p)## argument or an "and so on" could apply so we get either ##n=1## or ##n=0##.

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence or mapping between two structures that preserves structure and operations. In other words, if two structures are isomorphic, they share the same fundamental properties.

2. How are fractions and quotient rings related?

Fractions and quotient rings are related because they both involve dividing one quantity by another. In fractions, the numerator and denominator represent the dividend and divisor respectively, while in quotient rings, the elements being divided are elements of a ring.

3. Why is it important to show isomorphism between fractions and quotient rings?

Showing isomorphism between fractions and quotient rings is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between these two mathematical concepts. It also allows for the use of properties and operations from one structure to be applied to the other, making problem-solving and calculations more efficient and versatile.

4. How is isomorphism between fractions and quotient rings demonstrated?

Isomorphism between fractions and quotient rings can be demonstrated by constructing a homomorphism between the two structures. This means that a function is created that maps elements from one structure to the other while preserving the operations and properties of each structure.

5. What are some real-world applications of isomorphism between fractions and quotient rings?

Isomorphism between fractions and quotient rings has many real-world applications, such as in coding and cryptography. In coding, isomorphism can be used to efficiently encode and decode data, while in cryptography, it can be applied to create secure communication channels and encrypt messages.