Register to reply

How competitive is a 32 ACT score?

by Jameson
Tags: competitive, score
Share this thread:
Jameson
Nov14-05, 06:50 PM
P: 787
I just got my score today, and I'm happy with it. It's not amazing, but decent. My top choice school is Washington University in St. Louis, but I'm applying to many schools a little less than the caliber. How do you think I'm doing just in this component?

Thanks,
Jameson
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
Manchot
Nov14-05, 09:00 PM
P: 728
A 32's pretty good, but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to take the test another time to see if you can bump it up a couple of points, to give you that extra edge. (Wash. U. is pretty competitive, after all.) In fact, there's a good chance that you'll do better without the pressure of having to do well the second time through. For example, after I took the SAT for the first time, I got a 1480, which is obviously good. However, because I got two wrong on the math portion through dumb mistakes, I decided to take it again. My second time through, I was so relaxed and calm about it that I ended up with a 1570 (this is through the old scoring system, of course).
GCT
Nov15-05, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
32 is pretty good, not quite sure how it would correspond to the SAT score, it's certainly superior but not excellent in my opinion. It'll make an impression regarding your academic prowess, but they'll still look for your grades and other achievements to complement it.

awbattles
Apr23-11, 01:02 AM
P: 1
How competitive is a 32 ACT score?

I feel obligated to inform some of the opinions given here, just in case someone finds this thread using a search engine.

A score of 32 is fantastic. That score is in the 98th percentile. Because ACT scores follow a bell curve, any score from 32 to 36 (36 being perfect) puts you in the top 1-2 percent of student scores.

That being said, yes, Washington U is competitive. However, with a composite of 32, you won't be rejected because of your score; it will be because of a bad admissions essay or lack of involvement in activities or something like that.

Hopefully this will help anyone who is trying to actually get an accurate idea of where they stand with a given score.
Vanadium 50
Apr23-11, 06:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,459
This thread is 5-1/2 years old. The OP has graduated from college by now.

Register to reply