Difference between my PGRE score and 900+ scores

In summary, most schools don't look too much into the physics GRE score, and if you have a high score on the other parts of the application such as the writing and math exams, than your PGRE score may not play as much of a role.
Bishop556
Hello everyone,

I know this will sound slightly silly, but I'm feeling a little inadequate about my physics GRE score. I recently took it and scored an 860 (80th percentile), but I'm wondering if not getting in the 900s will hurt my chances for a top grad school. Do most schools recognize that once you get past a certain threshold that the PGRE doesn't hold weight? I just can't see how scoring a few more correct answers dictates that I'm better at physics considering the test is extremely unnatural towards how real physics is done.

Also, would the fact that I'm a Hispanic domestic student help me in the long run? Considering that most minorities score less than white students, could that factor greatly into interpreting these scores?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bishop556 said:
Hello everyone,

I know this will sound slightly silly, but I'm feeling a little inadequate about my physics GRE score. I recently took it and scored an 860 (80th percentile), but I'm wondering if not getting in the 900s will hurt my chances for a top grad school. Do most schools recognize that once you get past a certain threshold that the PGRE doesn't hold weight? I just can't see how scoring a few more correct answers dictates that I'm better at physics considering the test is extremely unnatural towards how real physics is done.

Also, would the fact that I'm a Hispanic domestic student help me in the long run? Considering that most minorities score less than white students, could that factor greatly into interpreting these scores?

Difference between 860 and 900, zero. No one cares.

Do they really? What evidence do you have to back up that assertion?

Dishsoap said:
It's likely that the OP is referring to this: https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/199607/gender.cfm which is a little light on sources.
That was what I was referring too. I was just concerned how stringent grad schools are for scores. However, I can't imagine that they would think someone who got a 890 or 900 is better than someone who got an 860. A few wrong answers doesn't equate to being the better physicist.

Bishop556 said:
However, I can't imagine that they would think someone who got a 890 or 900 is better than someone who got an 860.

By the same argument, there is no difference between an 860 and an 820. Or an 820 and a 780. And so on.

Vanadium 50 said:
By the same argument, there is no difference between an 860 and an 820. Or an 820 and a 780. And so on.

Well, there is a difference in score, but not in ability, in my opinion. I don't think you can made a judgement call on someone's ability given that they answered 2 or 3 more questions correctly than someone else on a poorly made multiple choice test.

Likes clope023
You need to shift your focus to things that you can improve rather than things you cannot. Research, letters of recommendation, grades in courses you have left, improving your PGRE score if you have time for another try.

I am Hispanic, but I never checked that box, because I never wanted benefits of affirmative action or diversity programs. Checking that box may or may not get the bar lowered for you at a given institution, depending on how they approach diversity and their applicant pool in a given admissions cycle.

I don't think it will affect anything for most schools, even ones like Harvard and Stanford for example if you have outstanding letters and research experience. They reject a lot of 990s for people with lower scores, definitely in the range you scored.

Some schools like MIT seem to care a bit more, but I think you would still be ok with the score you have. From what I have heard PGRE is most strongly correlated with how you will do on a written qual and a lot of schools have gotten rid of them. For example, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago have no written qual, and MIT's is no longer required since you can fulfill the requirement with classes. So if you fail the qual there you can just take the class.

1. What is a PGRE score?

The PGRE score, or Physics GRE score, is a standardized test used by many graduate programs in physics to assess a candidate's knowledge and readiness for graduate-level coursework.

2. How is the PGRE score calculated?

The PGRE score is calculated based on the number of questions answered correctly. Each correct answer receives one point, and incorrect or unanswered questions do not affect the score. The maximum score is 990, and the minimum score is 200.

3. What is considered a good PGRE score?

A score of 900 or above is generally considered a good PGRE score. However, the definition of a good score may vary depending on the competitiveness of the program and the applicant pool. It is best to research the average PGRE scores of the programs you are interested in to determine what score would make you a strong candidate.

4. What factors can affect my PGRE score?

There are several factors that can affect your PGRE score, such as your preparation and study habits, your familiarity with the test format, and your understanding of physics concepts. Additionally, a test-taker's anxiety and test-taking skills can also impact their score.

5. How important is my PGRE score for graduate school admissions?

The importance of the PGRE score varies depending on the graduate program. Some programs may place a high emphasis on the PGRE score and use it as a primary factor in admissions decisions, while others may consider it as one of many factors in the application. It is best to research the specific program's admissions criteria to understand the significance of the PGRE score in your application.