Who Are Potential Vice Presidential Candidates for Obama and Clinton?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Iraq. In summary, Jim Webb is a highly decorated Vietnam War veteran who served in the Marine Corps and has a strong history with the military. He has also served in the Reagan administration and has experience in government and business. He is currently a Senator from Virginia and has been considered as a potential Vice Presidential candidate for both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Chuck Hagel is also a Vietnam War veteran and a Republican who has served in various government positions and co-founded a successful business. He has been critical of the current administration and has called for a withdrawal of troops from Iraq. Both Webb and Hagel have been mentioned as potential running mates for Obama, with Hagel being seen as a coup due to his conservative background and military
WarPhalange said:
Cheney's a public servant. Saying "so what" to the public means he should get fired, not applauded.
Cheney is a self-servant, and I heard someone comment to the effect that congressional Democrats are invertebrates. Mind you, that's just a disparaging rumor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Cheney is a self-servant, and I heard someone comment to the effect that congressional Democrats are invertebrates. Mind you, that's just a disparaging rumor.
Another reason why I don't have a party affiliation. The Democrats were handed a majority so that could roll back some of the crap that Bush/Cheney have been pulling, and they just sit on their hands. Gutless weasels! I take that back...weasels shouldn't be disparaged by comparing them to politicians - they are small, but they are brave and tenacious...we don't see either of those qualities much on the Hill these days.

Gokul43201 said:
I almost admired him when he said "So what?". That's called having a spine. A terribly twisted one, but a strong one, nevertheless.

You would admire him for the brave way that he accepted responsibility for shooting Harry Whittington? Admittedly the man was a lawyer and all ... but still.

"Cheney told an investigator that he did not see his hunting partner while aiming for a bird."

Yes a man dressed in hunting orange does have a tendency to blend with the background. He has his finger on the trigger aiming down the barrel his eye didn't see what his buck shot soundly peppered?

As FoxNews reported "Accidents Happen".

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185238,00.html

So much for accountability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
I personally thing approval ratings are mostly a bunch of hooey. Yes, Cheney probably has the lowest approval rating of any VP in the longest time, and he probably doesn't give a hoot. I almost admired him when he said "So what?". That's called having a spine. A terribly twisted one, but a strong one, nevertheless.
There's nothing wrong with completely disagreeing with a person's politics while liking them as a person. I've always liked Cheney. That just makes the bizarre policies he's pursued since 9/11 even more disappointing.

I'd say the same about Huckabee. He was easily the candidate that I most wished had the same views as me.

That's why a person's political views are still more important when it comes to elections than their personal character.

BobG said:
There's nothing wrong with completely disagreeing with a person's politics while liking them as a person. I've always liked Cheney. That just makes the bizarre policies he's pursued since 9/11 even more disappointing.

We didn't think Dick would turn out this way
-Friends of Dick Cheney in Wyoming [according to the governer.]
From Meet the Press, two weeks ago.

I think today's Rasmussen poll is a nail in Tim (mullet or not) Pawlenty's vice presidential coffin.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/minnesota/election_2008_minnesota_presidential_election

The last 3 polls in MN have Obama with a 17 point lead (+/- 5 points).

Methinks McCain will have to abandon principles for politics and pick Romney. That could give him a much needed boost in MI, NV and CO (and maybe even in NH).

Biden... or Bayh...?
The two senators widely believed to be at the top of Barack Obama's shortlist for VP have been given prime-time speaking slots at the Democratic convention Wednesday night — the very same night the vice presidential candidate is slated to speak.
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar will also speak Wednesday evening, according to the convention committee.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

It's Biden ... isn't it? I hope it is.

I'm very happy with Biden - that's a guy who has a deep understanding of Foreign Policy, and is not afraid to speak up.

Plus, he gives out free bagels! He's sure to get the Jewish vote!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/biden-brings-re.html

Gokul43201 said:
It's Biden ... isn't it? I hope it is.

I'm very happy with Biden - that's a guy who has a deep understanding of Foreign Policy, and is not afraid to speak up.
2nd that. I don't agree w/ much of his domestic policy ideas but he has an intellectual conscience, a sense of humor, has respect for views not in agreement with his own, and is not afraid to admit he was wrong.

Today, a class at Widener University will have a substitute lecturer for a seminar on Constitutional Law...

Well, not that Biden is the VP nominee, everyone is waiting for McCain to announce his nominee.

According to some, the choice of Biden puts pressure on McCain to choose someone who can stand up to Biden.

Biden is wrench in McCain's VP choice
http://news.yahoo.com/story//politico/20080827/pl_politico/12867_1

Romney, Pawlenty, Ridge and Lieberman have factors that would be problematic, e.g. Pawlenty lacks experience, and Ridge and Lieberman are perhaps too liberal for conservatives.

A friend indicated that perhaps Kay Bailey Hutchison would be the VP nominee. Now that would make for an interesting choice. She's conservative and she'd certainly appeal to some of those who voted for Clinton. But her indictment by a Texas grand jury in September 1993 for official misconduct and records tampering could be a disqualifier.

Well then there's Elizabeth Dole, or perhaps Nancy Kassebaum, Lisa Murkowski, Sue Collins, Olympia Snowe, and others.

Looks like it's going to be Pawlenty... I think.

Astronuc said:
Well then there's Elizabeth Dole, or perhaps Nancy Kassebaum, Lisa Murkowski, Sue Collins, Olympia Snowe, and others.
I would love to see Susan Collins selected - it would give Tom Allen a walk-in in November. Not so much Olympia Snowe - she does not suck up to Bush/Cheney quite as blatantly as Collins, and her seat is not in contention this year.