Finding a Compatible LaTex Editor for Forum Posting

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter longrob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with posting LaTex code on a forum and the use of different editors. The solution to avoiding a 50-character feature when typing code is to add extra spaces. The conversation also mentions using an align environment to ensure symbols such as & and \\ are understood.
longrob
Hi all

I use Lyx v1.65 for creating LaTex.

Obviously it displays OK in Lyx. It also displays OK with an online editor I've tried
http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

But invariably when I try to post LaTex to this forum it does not work. I've tried the sandbox which the reason for the error, but frankly speaking I don't have time to play around with LaTex code directly.

I wonder if anyone can suggest a good LaTex editor that is compatible with this forum.

FWIW, here's some LaTex created in Lyx which does not work here

\mathbf{\boldsymbol{\beta}^{\textrm{T}}A\boldsymbol{\beta}}&=\overset{n}{\underset{i=1}{\sum}}\overset{n}{\underset{j=1}{\sum}}\beta_{i}a_{ij}\beta_{j}

and

\frac{\partial(\mathbf{\mathbf{\beta}^{\textrm{T}}}\mathbf{A\boldsymbol{\beta}})}{\partial\beta_{k}}&=2\beta_{k}a_{kk}+2\overset{n}{\underset{i\neq k}{\sum}}a_{ki}\beta_{i}

Thanks
LR

Physics news on Phys.org
When you type 50 characters without a space, vBulletin will insert a space that usually breaks the code. Here you can see how it breaks the word "boldsymbol":

[tex]\mathbf{\boldsymbol{\beta}^{\textrm{T}}A\boldsymbol{\beta}}&=\overset{n}{\underset{i=1}{\sum}}\overset{n}{\underset{j=1}{\sum}}\beta_{i}a_{ij}\beta_{j}[/tex]

The workaround is to type a few extra spaces. That won't be enough in this case, unless you also put it in an align environment (because of the & symbol).

\begin{align}\mathbf{\boldsymbol{\beta}^{\textrm{T}} A\boldsymbol{\beta}} &=\overset{n}{\underset{i=1}{\sum}} \overset{n}{\underset{j=1}{\sum}} \beta_{i}a_{ij}\beta_{j}\end{align}

Hi Fredrik

Thanks so much for the explanation !

So, just to be clear if I put
begin{align}
end{align}
around the text from Lyx, it should solve the problem ?

Thanks again
LR

Last edited:
No. That only ensures that the symbols & and \\ will be understood. To avoid the 50-character feature, you have to type extra spaces where they do no harm (at least one space every 50 characters).

It seems weird to me that Lyx gives you code that contains & and \\, but not the code to begin and end an align environment (or some other environment that understands those codes). That shouldn't work anywhere.

I can understand the frustration of not being able to easily post LaTex equations on this forum. It seems that the issue may be with the formatting or coding of the equations, rather than the specific editor being used. However, I would suggest trying out the following LaTex editors that are known to be compatible with forum posting: TeXworks, TeXstudio, and Overleaf. These editors have features specifically designed for online posting, and may help resolve any issues you are experiencing. Additionally, it may be helpful to double check the coding of your equations to ensure they are in the correct format for posting on this forum. I hope this helps and best of luck with your LaTex equations.

1. What is LaTex and why is it used for forum posting?

LaTex is a typesetting language commonly used for technical or scientific documents. It allows for precise formatting and equations to be displayed correctly. It is often used for forum posting because it improves the readability and organization of posts containing mathematical or scientific content.

2. What features should I look for in a LaTex editor for forum posting?

When choosing a LaTex editor for forum posting, it is important to look for features such as live preview, syntax highlighting, code completion, and easy integration with forum platforms. These features can help make the writing and editing process more efficient and user-friendly.

3. Are there any free LaTex editors available for forum posting?

Yes, there are several free LaTex editors available for forum posting, such as Overleaf, TeXworks, and TeXstudio. These editors offer a variety of features and can be easily downloaded and used for forum posting purposes.

4. Can I use a LaTex editor for forum posting if I am not familiar with LaTex?

Yes, you can still use a LaTex editor for forum posting even if you are not familiar with LaTex. Many editors have user-friendly interfaces and offer tutorials and guides to help beginners get started. Additionally, some editors have built-in templates that can be used for commonly used equations and symbols.

5. Can I use any LaTex editor for forum posting or are there specific ones that are recommended?

While any LaTex editor can technically be used for forum posting, there are some that are specifically designed for this purpose and may offer more features and compatibility with forum platforms. It is recommended to research and compare different LaTex editors before choosing one for forum posting.