Work Environment of an Electrical Engineer

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire for a job that involves both physical and mental aspects. The speaker enjoys working with their hands and doing math and critical thinking. They question if electrical engineers get to do hands-on work and give examples of their own job as a firmware engineer. It is mentioned that the amount of hands-on work varies depending on the specific job and project.
nst.john
One thing I always enjoyed about doing work is working with your hands and getting "dirty" so to say. I like putting in a hard day's work that has a physical aspect to it. But I also really like doing the math and thinking critically and solving hard and complex problems using a more mental and technical sense. I know electrical engineers definitely have the mental aspect because what they do is not easy and takes a lot of math and thinking, but would I really be working with my hands that much or really physically getting into my work? If so what are some examples of an electrical engineers getting "dirty", and if not, what types of engineers (or any science/technology/engineering/mathematics) job would add the physical aspect to their work along with the mental?

Physics news on Phys.org
nst.john said:
One thing I always enjoyed about doing work is working with your hands and getting "dirty" so to say. I like putting in a hard day's work that has a physical aspect to it. But I also really like doing the math and thinking critically and solving hard and complex problems using a more mental and technical sense. I know electrical engineers definitely have the mental aspect because what they do is not easy and takes a lot of math and thinking, but would I really be working with my hands that much or really physically getting into my work? If so what are some examples of an electrical engineers getting "dirty", and if not, what types of engineers (or any science/technology/engineering/mathematics) job would add the physical aspect to their work along with the mental?

When you design, build, debug and support embedded systems, you do lots and lots of hands-on work. :smile:

I am a firmware engineer at a defense contractor. I spend half my day at my computer designing electronics. I spend the other half of the day in the lab debugging the electronics.

some of my colleagues spend all day at the computer. some spend all day in the lab.

1. What is the typical work environment for an electrical engineer?

The typical work environment for an electrical engineer can vary depending on their specific job role and industry. However, most electrical engineers work in office settings, either in a large company or as a consultant. They may also work in research laboratories, manufacturing plants, or construction sites.

2. Do electrical engineers work alone or in teams?

Electrical engineers often work in teams, collaborating with other engineers, technicians, and professionals from different fields. Working in teams allows for a more diverse range of expertise and can lead to more innovative solutions for complex problems.

3. Is the work environment for electrical engineers physically demanding?

The work environment for electrical engineers can involve some physical demands, such as standing for extended periods, working in tight spaces, and lifting heavy equipment. However, most of the work is done at a desk or in a lab, so it is not considered physically demanding compared to other industries.

4. How does the work environment for an electrical engineer differ from other engineering fields?

The work environment for an electrical engineer is unique in that it involves a combination of both theoretical and practical work. While other engineering fields may focus more on design or hands-on work, electrical engineers must have a strong understanding of both to be successful.

5. Are there any safety hazards to be aware of in the work environment of an electrical engineer?

Yes, there are potential safety hazards in the work environment of an electrical engineer. They may be exposed to electrical shocks, burns, and other hazards if proper safety protocols are not followed. Electrical engineers must follow safety procedures and wear personal protective equipment to prevent accidents and injuries.