Rovelli history of science

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Rovelli's website offers valuable resources on the history of science and quantum gravity. His background in history of science has influenced his approach to QG and he teaches a course on it at Marseille. The QG group at cpt Luminy showcases the researchers and their work, and Rovelli's introduction to Loop Gravity is a concise and clear explanation of the theory. Thank you for sharing this information.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Rovelli history of science and some QG stuff at his site

it is good to know about the history of science (truism---everybody agrees I think)
for one thing it nourishes your skepticism because because you see in concrete detail how scientists have been on the wrong track so much of the time

and it is inspiring too
==================

interestingly, Rovelli is also qualified as a historian of science (a second specialty besides theoretical physics) and I think it helps him see more clearly the QG issues and recognize where work on the foundations is needed

accordingly he is teaching a History of Science course at Marseille
and one of the references is Arthur Koestler chapter on Kepler in "The Sleepwalkers". Kepler is a fascinating transition figure. part of Rovelli's course is a section on Kepler called "how to get from a witch mother to a scientist son"

the outline and reading for this course is online here
http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/
===================

I check Rovelli's site from time to time because occasionally there is something new. Today I saw the history of science course, which looks like fun, and I also saw a link to the QG GROUP at cpt Luminy
http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~quantumgravity/

this gives the names of the masters, PhD students, and postdocs in the QG "équipe", and shows what it looks like when physicsists climb on the tile roofs of Marseille

last time I checked the site I found this very good introduction to Loop Gravity----59 slides of a lecture given in Lyon
http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/Lyon2006II.pdf
it is the most up-to-date thing of its kind: remarkably clear and concise

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Rovelli's work and the resources on his website. It is indeed important to understand the history of science and how scientists have made mistakes in the past. This not only helps us to be more skeptical and critical of current scientific theories, but also inspires us to continue pushing the boundaries of knowledge.

I find it intriguing that Rovelli's background in history of science has influenced his approach to quantum gravity and how he recognizes the need for work on the foundations of this field. It is also interesting to see how he incorporates figures like Kepler in his teaching, highlighting the transition from superstition to scientific thinking.

Thank you for sharing the link to Rovelli's QG group at cpt Luminy. It's great to see the names of the researchers and their work on quantum gravity. And the image of physicists climbing on the tile roofs of Marseille is definitely a unique one!

I will definitely check out the introduction to Loop Gravity on Rovelli's website. It's always helpful to have clear and concise explanations of complex theories. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

and with many pictures and references

I also saw that Rovelli has a new book out "Reality is Not What it Seems" which looks like it delves into the history of science as well. It's interesting to see how Rovelli's background in both theoretical physics and history of science informs his work on quantum gravity. It's clear that understanding the mistakes and successes of past scientists can greatly impact our current understanding and progress in the field. Rovelli's work is definitely worth exploring for anyone interested in the history and development of science.

What is the Rovelli history of science?

The Rovelli history of science is a comprehensive study of the development and evolution of scientific ideas and theories. It encompasses the contributions of various scientists and their discoveries throughout history.

Who is Carlo Rovelli?

Carlo Rovelli is an Italian theoretical physicist and one of the leading figures in the field of quantum gravity. He is also known for his popular science books, including "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" and "The Order of Time".

What is the significance of the Rovelli history of science?

The Rovelli history of science provides insights into the intellectual journey of humanity and how scientific knowledge has evolved over time. It also helps us understand the context in which scientific discoveries were made and the impact they have on our understanding of the world.

What are some key topics covered in the Rovelli history of science?

The Rovelli history of science covers a wide range of topics, including the development of physics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, and mathematics. It also delves into the cultural and societal influences on scientific progress and the interactions between different fields of science.

How does the Rovelli history of science differ from other historical accounts of science?

The Rovelli history of science takes a more holistic approach, exploring not just the scientific discoveries themselves, but also the people and societal factors behind them. It also incorporates contemporary and modern scientific theories, providing a more comprehensive and up-to-date perspective on the history of science.