Twisted forms and intuition.

In summary, the conversation is about seeking insight or a course of study to improve understanding of twisted forms in physical theory. The speaker has read material on the subject but still feels their intuition is inadequate. They question the use of a coordinate system in a theory of intrinsic geometric objects and seek examples and a reading list to improve their understanding. References and a website are suggested as resources.
bmegun
Can anyone suggest insight, or a course of study, that can improve understanding of twisted (or pseudo) forms. I have learned from reading Frankel and Burke, that half the forms used in physical theory are twisted, and though I've studied their chapters on the subject, my intuition is still inadequate. It seems so strange to have developed an elaborate theory of intrinsic geometric objects (forms) and to then introduce a vestige of a coordinate system, by introducing orientation. Though Burke indicates that neither twisted or ordinary forms are more fundamental, I have not seen an intrisic definition of twisted forms. In any case, I would like to improve
my understanding and intuition, through simple examples, and or a reading
list.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have also been trying to develop my intuition about twisted forms.

Have you already seen
(Burke) Twisted Forms as they should be ?

Here is a list of some references that may be helpful.
physics.syr.edu/courses/vrml/electromagnetism/references.html[/URL]

Additionally, http://www.icm.edu.pl/edukacja/mat/Compendium.php may be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

One possible approach to improving your understanding of twisted forms could be to explore the mathematical concept of differential forms. Differential forms are a powerful tool for understanding and manipulating geometric objects, and they have applications in many areas of mathematics, including physics. They also provide a rigorous framework for understanding twisted forms.

Some recommended resources for studying differential forms include the book "Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology" by Raoul Bott and Loring Tu, as well as the online lecture notes "Differential Forms for Mathematicians" by Robert Bryant. These resources provide a thorough and intuitive introduction to the concept of differential forms and their applications.

In addition, studying differential geometry and topology can also help improve your understanding of twisted forms. These fields deal with the intrinsic geometry of spaces and provide a deeper understanding of the relationship between forms and coordinate systems.

Finally, it may also be helpful to work through examples and practice problems to gain a better intuition for twisted forms. Some possible resources for this include textbooks on differential geometry and topology, as well as online resources such as MathSE or MathOverflow.

Overall, improving your understanding of twisted forms will require a combination of studying theory, working through examples, and practicing problem-solving. With dedication and persistence, you can develop a deeper understanding and intuition for this important concept in mathematics and physics.

1. What are twisted forms?

Twisted forms refer to geometric objects that can be "twisted" or rotated in a certain way without changing their overall shape. They are often used in topology and differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces.

2. How do twisted forms differ from regular forms?

Twisted forms have a more complex structure and can exhibit properties that regular forms do not, such as non-orientability or non-trivial curvature. They also require a different mathematical framework, such as differential forms or sheaves, to fully understand their properties.

3. What is the role of intuition in understanding twisted forms?

Intuition plays a crucial role in understanding twisted forms as they often arise from visualizing and manipulating curved spaces in our minds. However, intuition alone is not enough and must be combined with rigorous mathematical reasoning to fully comprehend their properties.

4. How are twisted forms used in real-world applications?

Twisted forms have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and understand complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, and to develop algorithms for solving optimization problems.

5. Can anyone learn about twisted forms or is it only for advanced mathematicians?

While a deep understanding of twisted forms requires a strong background in mathematics, anyone can learn about them with dedication and patience. There are plenty of resources, such as books and online courses, that can help individuals of all levels to understand and appreciate the beauty of twisted forms.