Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories

In summary, this paper discusses the similarities and differences between quantum theory and general relativity. They argue that quantum theory is more similar to general relativity than Set is, and that this is why quantum theory has some puzzling features.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Baez recent paper "Quantum Quandaries" references one that Fotini Markopoulou wrote last year with Hanno Sahlmann and Eli Hawkins

"Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories"
http://arxiv.org/hep-th/0302111

I suspect I'm failing to get the point of this paper, so I mention it in case anyone can get some traction on it and wants to explain

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is that about ?
Why don't you explain first ? i think you can explain first and then I will try to give a comment.

Thanks

Just for reference, Baez refers to the Hawkins, Markopoulou, and Sahlmann (HMS) paper for a technical point, at the end of his section 2 (p. 8 in my copy) he says:

"There are some further technical complications arising from the fact that except in low dimensions, we need to use the C*-algebraic approach to quantum theory instead of the Hilbert space approach [13]. Here the category Hilb should be replaced by one where the objects are C*-algebras and the morphisms are completely positive maps between their duals [15]."

And reference 15 is the HMS paper. So what we are looking for in the HMS paper is this characterization of quantum theory in the algebraic context. Just at the beginning of the paper we see that they want to use the concept of causal quantum histories to get an abstract definition that will conver any quantization of gravity.

I will spend some time with the paper today and see if I can come up with anything cogent that can be applied to quantum quandries.

And now that I have been with the paper for a while I am more and more impressed with it. The aim is to provide a general theater in which quantum statements about spacetime can be discussed, regardless of the details of the quantum system that generates them. And it looks very general, and certainly should work. I can well see why Baez relied on it as a benchmark of careful quantumness.

One point. The authors use a lot of terms in their introductory section 1 that they don't define. If you are not already familiar with those terms you would do well to work back and forth between section 2, where they are defined, and section 1 to get a clear idea of what the authors mean.

for anyone who missed the beginning, we came across the Fotini paper in connection with Baez recent quantum gravity paper

http://arxiv.org/quant-ph/0404040

"quantum quandaries: a category theoretic perspective"

General relativity may seem very different from quantum theory, but work on quantum gravity has revealed a deep analogy between the two. General relativity makes heavy use of the category nCob, whose objects are (n-1)-dimensional manifolds representing "space" and whose morphisms are n-dimensional cobordisms representing "spacetime". Quantum theory makes heavy use of the category Hilb, whose objects are Hilbert spaces used to describe "states", and whose morphisms are bounded linear operators used to describe "processes". Moreover, the categories nCob and Hilb resemble each other far more than either resembles Set, the category whose objects are sets and whose morphisms are functions. In particular, both Hilb and nCob but not Set are *-categories with a noncartesian monoidal structure. We show how this accounts for many of the famously puzzling features of quantum theory: the failure of local realism, the impossibility of duplicating quantum information, and so on. We argue that these features only seem puzzling when we try to treat Hilb as analogous to Set rather than nCob, so that quantum theory will make more sense when regarded as part of a theory of spacetime."

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories"?

"Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" is a scientific theory that seeks to explain how quantum systems evolve over time, taking into account the underlying causal relationships between events. It combines ideas from quantum mechanics, causality, and information theory to provide a framework for understanding the behavior of complex quantum systems.

How does "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" differ from traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Unlike traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics, "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" does not rely on the concept of wavefunction collapse or the idea of observer-induced reality. Instead, it focuses on the evolution of quantum systems as a continuous process, taking into account the causal relationships between events.

What are the implications of "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" for our understanding of the universe?

This theory has significant implications for our understanding of the universe, as it suggests that the behavior of complex quantum systems can be understood in terms of causal relationships and information processing. It also challenges traditional notions of causality and suggests that the future may influence the past in certain situations.

How does "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" relate to other areas of physics?

"Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" has connections to other areas of physics, such as quantum gravity, quantum field theory, and quantum information theory. It provides a way to reconcile quantum mechanics with these other areas, and has the potential to contribute to the development of a unified theory of physics.

What are some current research topics related to "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories"?

Current research on "Evolution in Quantum Causal Histories" focuses on developing a more complete and rigorous mathematical framework for the theory, as well as exploring its implications for quantum information processing, black hole physics, and the nature of time. Other areas of interest include the role of entanglement in quantum causal histories and the potential for experimental tests of the theory.