Many body problem -> non-interacting particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of rewriting any interacting particle problem in terms of non-interacting quasi-particles through the grand partition function. An example is provided to demonstrate this method and questions are raised about the physical interpretation and properties of these quasi-particles. However, there is also a discussion about the correctness of this approach and concerns about the conservation of particle number. In the end, it is concluded that the algebraic manipulation may not work and further investigation is needed.
JustinLevy
many body problem --> non-interacting particles

Okay, this is a question I brought up elsewhere, but I guess I was off topic from the original thread so I decided to post here. Any help would be appreciated.

It appears to me that the grand partition function indicates any problem can be rewritten in terms of non-interacting quasi-particles. Below is an example to "demonstrate" the method, and also to give specifics in which to discuss. I haven't been able to find a flaw or make physical sense of it yet, which is where my questions lie. Any help understanding this would be much appreciated.

Consider a potential with two sites for interacting fermions.
[tex]H = \epsilon c_1^\dagger c_1 + \epsilon c_2^\dagger c_2 + t (c_2^\dagger c_1 + c_1^\dagger c_2) + A (c_1^\dagger c_2^\dagger c_1 c_2 + c_2^\dagger c_1^\dagger c_2 c_1) [/tex]
Where t is a tunnelling term coupling the two sites, and A is a repulsion term. t is real. A is real and greater than zero.

zero fermion eigen solution:
[tex]|0\rangle[/tex], energy is [tex]H |0\rangle = 0 |0\rangle[/tex]

one fermion eigen solutions:
let [tex] |1+\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(c_1^\dagger + c_2^\dagger)|0\rangle[/tex], energy is [tex] H|1+\rangle = (\epsilon+t) |1+\rangle [/tex]
let [tex] |1-\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(c_1^\dagger - c_2^\dagger)|0\rangle[/tex], energy is [tex] H|1-\rangle = (\epsilon-t) |1-\rangle [/tex]

two fermion eigen solution:
let [tex] |2\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(c_1^\dagger c_2^\dagger - c_2^\dagger c_1^\dagger)|0\rangle[/tex], energy is [tex] H|2\rangle = (2 \epsilon+A) |2\rangle [/tex]

The grand partition function is therefore:
[tex]\mathcal{Z} = 1 + e^{-\beta ((\epsilon+t)-\mu)} + e^{-\beta ((\epsilon-t)-\mu)} + e^{-\beta (2\epsilon+A-2\mu)}[/tex]

let [tex]\lambda = e^{-\beta (\epsilon-\mu)}[/tex], then we can clearly see the polynomial:
[tex]\mathcal{Z} = 1 + e^{-\beta t}\lambda + e^{-\beta (-t)} \lambda + e^{-\beta A} \lambda^2}[/tex]
[tex]\mathcal{Z} = 1 + (e^{-\beta t}+ e^{\beta t})\lambda + e^{-\beta A} \lambda^2[/tex]

And of course we can factor this polynomial to rewrite the partition function as:
[tex]\mathcal{Z} = \prod_i Q_i [/tex]
Where [tex]Q_i = (\lambda - \lambda_i)[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] are the zero's of the polynomial. Notice that for this example, [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] are real, less than zero, and [tex]\prod_i \lambda_i = 1[/tex].

So I can rewrite this as:
[tex]\mathcal{Z} = \prod_i Z_i [/tex]
Where [tex]Z_i = (1 + e^{-\beta (\epsilon_i-\mu)})[/tex]. And now the partition functions are of non-interacting quasiparticle states!

So the Hamiltonian should be able to be rewritten as such:
[tex]H = \sum_i \epsilon_i b_i^\dagger b_i [/tex]
Where [itex]b_i^\dagger[/itex] is the creation operator for non-interacting state [itex]i[/itex] with energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex].

This should probably work for any interacting system of particles. You can always rewrite the polynomial as a product of the zeros. So you can always rewrite the paritition function as a system of non-interacting quasi-particles. But what are these states physically? And how do they relate to the original creation operators [tex]c_1^\dagger[/tex] and [tex]c_2^\dagger[/tex] ?

Any insight people can provide on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've thought about this some more, and started wondering: what is the commutation relation for these new creation/annihilation operators? Are they still fermions? I'm not sure how to check. Basically I want to someone prove whether or not the Hamiltonian is still Hermitian. If not, then clearly there is a mistake and using this can help me track down the mistake (hopefully).

Any ideas anyone?

Those operators will probably not diagonalize the Hamiltonian in the interacting case, so calling them "particles" isn't a good idea. In other words, particle number will not be conserved (doesn't commute with H)

hmmm... phys forums isn't letting me quote and post... so maybe this will work.

anyway, you have to factor out the e^{\beta A} in order to write your polynomial in the way yuo wrote it. and then I don't see how you rewrite it in the "quasiparticle" form. the algebra doesn't work.

I.e.,

you have to factor our the coefficient of the lambda^2 term.
[tex]
Z=e^{-\beta A}(\lambda-\lambda_+)(\lambda-\lambda_-)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\lambda_{\pm}=\frac{-\cosh(\beta t)e^{\beta A}\pm\sqrt{\cosh^2(\beta t)e^{2\beta A}-e^{\beta A}}}{}
[/tex]

1. What is the "many body problem"?

The many body problem refers to the study of the dynamics of a system of particles that interact with each other. It is a fundamental problem in physics and is often used to understand the behavior of systems such as gases, solids, and liquids.

2. What are non-interacting particles?

Non-interacting particles are those that do not interact with each other. This means that they do not exert any forces or influence on each other, and their behavior is independent of the other particles in the system. In the context of the many body problem, this allows for simpler calculations and models.

3. Why are non-interacting particles important in the study of the many body problem?

Non-interacting particles serve as a useful starting point for studying the many body problem because they allow for simpler calculations and models. By understanding the behavior of non-interacting particles, scientists can then introduce interactions between particles and study how this affects the system's dynamics.

4. Can non-interacting particles be used to model real-life systems?

While non-interacting particles are a useful tool for studying the many body problem, they cannot perfectly model real-life systems. In reality, most particles do interact with each other in some way, and these interactions play a crucial role in the behavior of a system. However, non-interacting particles can still provide valuable insights and serve as a starting point for more complex models.

5. Are there any real-life systems that can be accurately modeled using non-interacting particles?

Yes, there are some real-life systems that can be accurately modeled using non-interacting particles. For example, a gas can be approximated as a system of non-interacting particles if the particles are far apart and their interactions are weak. This allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of gases using simple models based on non-interacting particles.