How to derive the quantum detailed balance condition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the detailed balance condition for non-Hamiltonian systems, specifically for Markov open quantum systems. The detailed balance condition is defined as the generator ##L## being a normal operator in the Hilbert space ##\mathcal{B}_{\rho_0}(\mathcal{H})##. This is derived from the classical detailed balance condition ##p_{ij}\pi_j = p_{ji}\pi_i##, and the author also presents a quantum analogy for detailed balance. However, there is a question on how to derive definition 2 from the classical version of detailed balance.
lsdragon
TL;DR Summary
I want some help to get the definition of quantum detailed balance condition from analogy of classical detailed balance condition
In the "On The detailed balance conditions for non-Hamiltonian systems", I learned that for a Markov open quantum system to satisfying the master equation with the Liouvillian superoperators, the detailed balance condition will be

> Definition 2: The open quantum Markovian system (##dim(\mathcal{H}) < \infty##) obeys the detailed balance principle if the generator ##L## in Heisenberg picture is a normal operator in Hilbert space ##\mathcal{B}_{\rho_0}(\mathcal{H})## (see Definition 1).

>Definition 1: ##\mathcal{B}_{\rho_0}(\mathcal{H})## denotes the Hilbert space of all linear operators on the finite-dimensional Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## with the scalar product defined by the formula
$$\langle A, B\rangle = Tr(A^\dagger B \rho_0), A,B \in \mathcal{B}_{\rho_0}(\mathcal{H})$$
where ##\rho_0## is a fixed state (density matrix) and ## \rho_0 > 0##.

The ##L## is the adjoint operator, defined with respect to definition 1, of the Liouvillian superoperator ##\mathcal{L}##, such that
$$
\frac{d \rho}{d t} = \mathcal{L} \rho \\
\frac{d A}{d t} = L A, A\in \mathcal{B}_{\rho_0}(\mathcal{H}).
$$

The author started from the classical detailed balance condition ##p_{ij}\pi_j = p_{ji}\pi_i## and finally get to definition 2.

For me, I will write the quantum analogy of detailed balance as
$$
\langle A,L(B) \rangle = \langle B, L(A)\rangle .
$$
I can not get the normality of ##L## from the above definition.
Then, my question is that how can we get to definition 2 starting from the classical version of detailed balance?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the quantum detailed balance condition?

The quantum detailed balance condition is a fundamental principle in quantum statistical mechanics that states that the rate of a physical process in a system at equilibrium is equal to the rate of its inverse process. In other words, the system is in a state of balance where the forward and reverse processes occur at equal rates.

2. How is the quantum detailed balance condition derived?

The quantum detailed balance condition is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It involves considering the microscopic interactions between particles in a system and using mathematical equations to calculate the equilibrium state of the system.

3. What is the significance of the quantum detailed balance condition?

The quantum detailed balance condition is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems at equilibrium. It also provides a link between the macroscopic properties of a system and its microscopic components, allowing us to make connections between different levels of description.

4. Is the quantum detailed balance condition always applicable?

No, the quantum detailed balance condition is only applicable to systems that are in a state of equilibrium. If a system is not at equilibrium, the rates of its forward and reverse processes will not be equal and the condition cannot be applied.

5. How is the quantum detailed balance condition related to thermodynamics?

The quantum detailed balance condition is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will either remain constant or increase over time. The condition ensures that the system is in a state of maximum entropy, which is a hallmark of thermodynamic equilibrium.