The Role of Egg Yolk in Mayonnaise & Margarine

• Thread starter CuriousSam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, the role of egg yolk in mayonnaise is to act as an emulsifying agent and stabilize the emulsion. Removing or reducing the amount of egg yolk can result in a less stable or thinner mayonnaise. Egg yolk cannot be used as a substitute for GMS in margarine because it would alter the taste and consistency, and margarine is expected to be inexpensive and non-perishable.
CuriousSam
What is the role of egg yolk in mayonniase?
What happens to the emulsion when the egg yolk was reduced by 50% or omitted? Explain why?

Egg yolk is the emulsifying agent. Without it mayonnaise is basically a vinaigrette. If you omit egg yolk entirely your mayonnaise will not emulsify (thicken), if you reduce it by half, it will still work, but may not be as stable, or as easy to make.

There an intriguing question bugging me.
Why can't we use use egg yolk instead of GMS( glyceryl monostearate) in margarine.
I mean GMS is artificial emulsifier so it much be the same as egg yolk ? or egg yolk cannot
, too oily ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a better explanation

In response to your questions, after seeing several cooking shows lately where people were creating an emulsion by whisking oil into vinegar or other liquid, I decided to look up the roles of egg yolk and oil in mayonaise since the acid and the oil by itself create an emulsion.

What the egg yolk does is stabilize the emulsion.

Both mayonnaise and hollandaise sauce are oil-in-water emulsions that are stabilized with egg yolk lecithin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

Last edited:
yup...eggs are good.

CuriousSam said:
Why can't we use use egg yolk instead of GMS( glyceryl monostearate) in margarine.

Most likely because margarine is expected to be cheap :smile:

Borek said:
Most likely because margarine is expected to be cheap :smile:

And fake. :biggrin: I'm not even sure if margarine is perishable, or just has to be refrigerated to keep from melting. :uhh:

Oh, and if you made your margarine with egg yolks, it would probably taste more like mayonnaise than butter.

Moonbear said:
Oh, and if you made your margarine with egg yolks, it would probably taste more like mayonnaise than butter.

And then I'm pretty sure it would stop being margarine altogether. :rofl:

What is the role of egg yolk in mayonnaise and margarine?

Egg yolk serves as an emulsifier in both mayonnaise and margarine. It helps to bind together the oil and water components, creating a smooth and creamy texture.

How does egg yolk act as an emulsifier?

Egg yolk contains lecithin, a type of fat that has both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-repelling) properties. This allows it to form a stable emulsion by surrounding and dispersing the oil droplets in the water-based ingredients.

Can mayonnaise and margarine be made without egg yolk?

Yes, it is possible to make mayonnaise and margarine without egg yolk by using alternative emulsifiers such as mustard, soy lecithin, or xanthan gum. However, these substitutes may not provide the same richness and flavor as egg yolk.

Are there any health benefits to using egg yolk in mayonnaise and margarine?

Egg yolk is a good source of essential nutrients such as protein, healthy fats, and various vitamins and minerals. However, mayonnaise and margarine are high in calories and should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

How does the amount of egg yolk affect the texture of mayonnaise and margarine?

The amount of egg yolk used can greatly impact the texture of mayonnaise and margarine. Too little egg yolk may result in a thin and runny consistency, while too much can make the product too thick and difficult to spread. Finding the right balance is important for achieving the desired texture.