The new Computer Science forum, I don't think it works

• Thread starter Coin
  • Start date
In summary, the Computer Science forum has gone from being a place where people could ask questions about computer science, to being a place where people post theoretical CS questions.
Coin
I don't remember when exactly we made the change, but when I look at the last 15 threads in the Computer Science forum I see exactly one of them is about anything you could reasonably call "computer science". Besides this one computer science thread, one is a programming thread and one is a math and science software thread. The rest are about general computing topics, things like how do I get my video card or joystick to work.

I think that having a "Computer Science" forum which is not actually about computer science is worse than having no computer science forum at all. If there is no computer science forum people with real computer science questions will probably just post them in "programming" or the sets/logic math forum-- but personally I would find the situation of there being a CS forum where no actual CS discussion seems to be taking place as a discouragement to posting anything on the subject at all.

I think it is too bad "programming" is not a top-level forum anymore, but I'm sure you all have your reasons. So if this is the way we are going to do things I think you should name the top-level, not-really-CS forum just "Computer discussion" or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Coin said:
I don't remember when exactly we made the change, but when I look at the last 15 threads in the Computer Science forum I see exactly one of them is about anything you could reasonably call "computer science".

I agree.
I was hoping for find more [real] "computer science" discussions there.
From what is there now, "computers and technology" (or something similar) seems more appropriate.

(I also recall hearing a CS professor say that "computer programming" is not the same thing as "computer science".)

Do you think it would make sense to use the "Computers and Technology" for the top level forum title (as robphy suggests) and once the "Technology" subforum is no longer necessary, use the freed slot for a "Theoretical CS" subforum? I don't know if there would be enough pure-CS discussion to justify such a thing, but it does not seem like the Technology subforum (the Technology forum did exist before the forum rearrangement, right?) is seeing much use at all.

Coin said:
a "Theoretical CS" subforum? I don't know if there would be enough pure-CS discussion to justify such a thing

With the academic year starting up all over the place [in the US],
I could envision pure-CS discussions [probably including homework questions that might be moved to the HW forum.].

I also recall hearing a CS professor say that "computer programming" is not the same thing as "computer science".
Or dykstra's quote about computer science being about computers in the sae eway that astronomy is about telescopes.

Most of the theoretical CS questions would go in either maths or are interview question type brain-teasers.

It's early, we'll think about making another change if needed in a couple months.

1. What is the purpose of the new Computer Science forum?

The purpose of the new Computer Science forum is to provide a platform for discussions and sharing of knowledge related to computer science, technology, and programming.

2. Why do you think the forum is not working?

There could be a few reasons why the forum may not be working effectively. It could be due to technical issues, lack of active users, or unclear guidelines for posting and moderating content.

3. How can we improve the functionality of the forum?

To improve the functionality of the forum, we can regularly update the software, encourage more active participation from users, and establish clear guidelines for posting and moderating content. We can also conduct surveys and gather feedback from users to identify any areas of improvement.

4. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for using the forum?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure a positive and productive environment for all users. These may include rules against spamming, trolling, or posting inappropriate content. It is important to read and follow these guidelines to maintain the integrity of the forum.

5. Can I suggest new features or topics for discussion on the forum?

Absolutely! We welcome suggestions for new features or topics that may be of interest to the community. You can reach out to the forum moderators or administrators to share your ideas and they will be considered for implementation.