Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82 - What Has He Done?

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding the components of the entries in matrices and specifically the sigma matrices in Peskin's introduction to QFT. The individual was initially confused about the use of different subscripts for the sigma matrices in the first and second rows. Through further discussion, it was clarified that there is a change in the notation for the Dirac indices, and it is always important to write them out explicitly. The conversation also touched upon the use of Greek letters for Dirac indices, which can be confusing. Finally, a step-by-step derivation of an equation in the textbook was also provided for better understanding.
sunkesheng
peskin`s introduction to QFT [3.82],do not know what he had done to the underline

Attachments

• 3.82.png
    3.82.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 592
Physics news on Phys.org
write out the components of each entry in the matrices

ansgar said:
write out the components of each entry in the matrices
i see ,but why the \singma[\nu]\sigma[\lambta] in the first row can be write to that in the second row,:confused:

what properties of the sigma can u think of?

ansgar said:
what properties of the sigma can u think of?
many thanks .it is my fault,i don`t express my question clearly,so
sigma is the 2*2 pauli matrix ,but subscript of the front two sigma matrixs in the first row is \beta ,in the second it changes to \delta,that is what i puzzled.

just write out every dirac index and massage it

ansgar said:
just write out every dirac index and massage it

:smile: get it ,there is a change which is important and very simple ,and it is until now that i realized it :
\sigma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}=\sigma^{\mu}^{T}_{\beta\alpha}
thanks a lot!

ah great, I was about to do this all for myself so that I could pin-point exactly what is going on ;)

It "always" work to write out the Dirac indices

One thing I don't like is that Peskin uses greek letter for Dirac index sometimes.. like here, very annoying and confusing

For posterity, here's a step-by-step derivation of line 1 to line 2 of eqn. 3.82 for Peskin & Schroeder QFT.

Attachments

• Eqn3_82.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 429

1. What is "Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82"?

"Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82" is a textbook written by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder. It is a comprehensive introduction to quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Who is Michael E. Peskin?

Michael E. Peskin is a theoretical physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his work in high energy physics, particularly in the field of quantum field theory. He has also authored several textbooks, including "Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82".

3. What topics does "Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82" cover?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in quantum field theory, including classical field theory, relativistic quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and the Standard Model of particle physics. It also includes exercises and problems for students to practice and deepen their understanding of the concepts.

4. What makes "Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82" unique?

This textbook is highly regarded in the field of quantum field theory for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its comprehensive coverage of both classical and modern topics. It also includes worked examples and problems that have been carefully chosen to illustrate important concepts and techniques.

5. Can "Peskin's Introduction to QFT 3.82" be used as a self-study resource?

Yes, the textbook can be used as a self-study resource for students and researchers in theoretical physics. It is designed to be accessible to those with a background in quantum mechanics and special relativity. However, it is also commonly used as a textbook in university courses on quantum field theory.