Academic Searches using Google

In summary, the conversation is about a guide written by physiker_192 that covers important and useful Google search operators to improve search results. The guide also includes sections on using Google Scholar for research papers and journal articles, as well as useful links related to physics. The participants in the conversation thank physiker_192 for the guide and discuss their experiences with making new searches and being open to new discoveries. One of the participants also asks about posting signatures and any limits.
physiker_192
Hello everyone,

I have written this small guide, which covers the most important and useful Google search operators, which can totally improve your google search results.

If you just type in your search keywords in Google then this is for you.

The guide also includes two small sections:

i.) Using Google Scholar: Mainly for research papers and journal articles.
ii.) Useful Links: Some really awesome pages (Physics theme) e.g. Lectures notes from other universities.

http://sites.google.com/site/muhanad/"

I hope you like it, and your feedback is welcomed.

physiker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Great stuff, thanks!

Dafe said:
Great stuff, thanks!

You're welcome.

very useful,thanks!

physics_pupil said:
very useful,thanks!

Anytime.
Glad it was of use.

Hello everyone!

Being an instructor, you should know how to adjust and make new searches for your new discoveries. I used to be an online teacher before, everytime i have new student i make sure that i am ready to accept them with their opinions and discoveries as they enter to my ways of learning.

Since I'm new here, just want to ask if when could i post my sigs here? are there any limits? Thanks a lot!

Thank you physiker_192! Your guide was informative and concise!

alleyrat said:
Thank you physiker_192! Your guide was informative and concise!

You're welcome.

Thanks for dropping by.

Thank you for this. Hope it will help me.

mark.harkins said:
Thank you for this. Hope it will help me.

Anytime.

1. How do I use Google for academic searches?

To use Google for academic searches, you can start by going to the Google Scholar website or by using the advanced search feature on the regular Google search page. You can also add the word "scholar" after your search query to get more academic results. Additionally, you can use quotation marks around your search terms to get more precise results.

2. What types of sources can I find through academic searches on Google?

You can find a variety of sources through academic searches on Google, including journal articles, books, conference papers, dissertations, and more. These sources are typically written by scholars, researchers, and experts in their field, making them reliable and credible sources of information.

3. How can I evaluate the credibility of sources found through academic searches on Google?

To evaluate the credibility of sources found through academic searches on Google, you can consider the author's credentials, the publication or journal it is published in, the date of publication, and whether the information is supported by other sources. You can also check for biases or conflicts of interest that may affect the credibility of the source.

4. Can I access full-text articles through academic searches on Google?

Yes, you can access full-text articles through academic searches on Google. However, not all sources will be available for free. Some may require a subscription or payment to access the full text. You can also use Google Scholar's advanced search feature to filter results by full text availability.

5. How can I save and organize sources found through academic searches on Google?

You can save and organize sources found through academic searches on Google by creating a Google account and using Google Scholar's "My library" feature. This allows you to save sources to your personal library and organize them into folders. You can also export your library to citation management tools like EndNote or Zotero for easier access and organization.