Physics Forums mobile on an IPad

• Thread starter Perspicacity
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a user trying to access the regular version of Physics Forums on their iPad instead of the mobile version. They had tried using the button at the bottom left of the page, but it did not work. Some users suggested that it may be possible if the iPad has a different agent string, while others mentioned that it could be an issue with the forum software. The conversation ended with the user deciding to continue using the mobile version for now and checking for updates in the future.
Perspicacity
Hi everyone—and happy 4th of July.

Anyways, I use my IPad to browse Physics Forums a lot, and for some reason it always brings up the mobile version of the website. The mobile version is awesome on the iphone, but the IPad screen is large enough I think that the regular version would be easier to use.

As for my question: is there any way I can switch it to regular? I've tried to use the button at the bottom left of the page, but this does not work. Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem

The iPad's user agent string is "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10".

I'm afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to understand the second and fourth posts, but thank you for replying. I'll try and google some of those terms and see if I can figure them out.

Oh, it's nothing you can really do on your end, Perspicacity. The agent string is something the forum software can use to see that you're using an iPad and send the appropriate version of the pages. You just have to wait until the admins get a chance to modify the forum's code.

vela said:
Oh, it's nothing you can really do on your end, Perspicacity. The agent string is something the forum software can use to see that you're using an iPad and send the appropriate version of the pages. You just have to wait until the admins get a chance to modify the forum's code.

Thanks! I guess I'll just mobile for now, and keep checking.

The mobile version (on my Android phone) shows a "Normal" button at the bottom. Perhaps you can somehow "bookmark" the link that button refers to on your iPad?

Later: I retract that suggestion. On my phone the button just links to the PF homepage, but still in the mobile version. Perhaps there is an URL-parameter that forces the normal version? Or is it not implemented?

Later again: If PF uses the plugin mention in http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=226946 then that explains why the normal button doesn't work.

Last edited:
Well, problem still persists.

What is the Physics Forums mobile app?

The Physics Forums mobile app is a version of the popular physics discussion forum that is optimized for use on iPads and other mobile devices. It allows users to access the forum and participate in discussions on-the-go.

How do I download the Physics Forums mobile app on my iPad?

To download the Physics Forums mobile app on your iPad, simply go to the App Store and search for "Physics Forums." Once you find the app, click "Get" to download it. The app is free to download and use.

Can I access all features of the forum on the mobile app?

Yes, the mobile app allows you to access all of the features available on the desktop version of the forum. This includes posting and replying to discussions, searching for topics, and accessing your private messages and notifications.

Is the mobile app available for other devices besides iPads?

Yes, the Physics Forums mobile app is also available for iPhones and Android devices. You can download it from the App Store or Google Play Store, respectively.

Is the mobile app free to use?

Yes, the Physics Forums mobile app is free to download and use. However, some features may require a paid membership on the forum. You can upgrade your membership through the app or on the desktop version of the forum.