Why Does e Appear in Nature So Often?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, the conversation is about the origins and significance of the number e in physics and mathematics. The participants discuss the relationship between exponential equations and the number e, and wonder why it appears so frequently in natural phenomena. One participant also mentions a similar thread on the topic. The conversation ends with a mention of a fundamental definition of e as the area under the inverse curve between 1 and e being equal to 1.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
oops there's an extra m in my topic title, I was going for why e. :wink:

I believe most the the exponential equations in physics come from the fact that a^[f(x)] = a^[f(x)] * lna * df/dx but the book I had in my first calculus class didn't had a proof for that.

Does anybody have one? And most importantly, why e? Does that number represent anything special; is it a certain ratio like pi or anything like that? It really seem to be coming out of nowhere for me. The only definitions I've seen are all unintuitive: "e is defined as the integral from there to there of this" or "e is the number such that [such and such]", etc. But why does it appear in nature so often??

(If you know a similar thread exists, tell me because I didn't find one.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that there is significance in this relationship

[tex] 1 = \int ^e _1 \frac {dx} x [/tex]

Edit, fixed typo, now I'll add a bit of verbiage.

Think about that, the area under the inverse curve between 1 and e is equal to 1. This is a pretty fundamental definition of e.

Last edited:
Please do not double post.

See this thread.

1. Why is e such an important number in mathematics and science?

The number e is considered significant because it is the base of the natural logarithm and is used in many mathematical and scientific formulas. It also appears in a variety of natural phenomena and has important applications in areas such as finance and physics.

2. How is e related to compound interest and continuous growth?

e is closely related to compound interest and continuous growth because it represents the rate at which an investment would grow if the interest was continuously compounded. This is why it is commonly known as the "natural growth rate" or "natural exponential growth."

3. What is the historical significance of e?

The number e was first discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonard Euler in the 18th century. However, it was not given the name "e" until later by another mathematician, Jacob Bernoulli. Since its discovery, e has been used in various fields of mathematics and science, making it one of the most important and influential numbers in history.

4. How does e appear in nature?

e appears in various natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and the shape of certain objects like shells and galaxies. It also has connections to the Fibonacci sequence, which is found in many natural patterns and structures.

5. Why is e often considered a "universal constant"?

e is often referred to as a "universal constant" because it appears in many different areas of mathematics and science and is not dependent on any specific units of measurement. It is also a fundamental constant in calculus and has been found to have important relationships with other constants such as pi and the golden ratio.