What is the Doritos Superbowl Commercial Competition?

  • Thread starter Thread starter edward
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 5K views
edward
Messages
74
Reaction score
166
Every year Doritos has a commercial production competion open to the general public .(you could have fooled me) I never heard of it until my nephew called. He has made the final five.

You have to register to vote which requires giving a lot of personal information.

You can view the entries below:

http://www.crashthesuperbowl.com/?paidsearch=kwid/&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=crash%20the%20superbowl%20doritos&utm_campaign=Crash%20the%20Super%20Bowl%20-%202012#

The first thing to do is to turn off the blasted music on the upper left:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are all awesome! Thanks for sharing.
 
It's hard to pick a favorite, but I have to go with the missing cat coverup. I'm a sucker for animals.

Edward, your nephew has talent, no matter which one is his.
 
Evo said:
It's hard to pick a favorite, but I have to go with the missing cat coverup. I'm a sucker for animals.

Edward, your nephew has talent, no matter which one is his.

LOL it is the one with the baby in a swing. He made the final five last year too. He decided that this year he either needed to use a dog or a baby because those have always won.

Next year he will probably use both. His day job is in the stock market.

I think that the videos can be viewed in a larger format in the facebook link below.

http://www.facebook.com/DoritosUSA?sk=app_136941433085639

Edit: It took almost $25,000 to produce. Grandma wouldn't work cheap:biggrin:
 
Amazing, Edward. The production values of all the top 5 are very good. Good professional-looking work.
 
I was going to say the baby video is going to win. I don't even like babies, but that was my other favorite, it's adorable. I think he's going to win this one.
 
Baby-beats-all. Best effects, and sibling rivalry.

Did your nephew have to use twin babies?
 
Loren Booda said:
Baby-beats-all. Best effects, and sibling rivalry.

Did your nephew have to use twin babies?

I really don't know I will have to ask. He produced it overall but a group of people worked on it.

Edit: Just curious, does the facebook link work for everyone or just me??
 
Loren Booda said:
Baby-beats-all. Best effects, and sibling rivalry.

Did your nephew have to use twin babies?

No it was the son of a friend. That is one cute kid. At the end where he held up the chip was a total surprise. He did that on his own.
 
Good luck to your nephew! That baby one was hands down the best of the bunch. It's the only one that made me laugh. The others are kind of lame. The only other one I thought was mildly entertaining was the man's best friend one.
 
I love it! Good luck to your nephew. That is some grade A work.
 
Evo said:
They didn't ask me for any personal information, just an e-mail address and birthdate.

Hmm that's right. I gave the wrong birth date. As a matter of fact I gave my wifes birth date. Which one of us can collect??:confused::smile:

BTW you can vote once every day.
 
Alls well that ends well. Although not winning the Superbowl portion of the contest that was decided by a focus group of only 250 people, Sling Baby just won first place in the overall USA Today online poll.

A group of eight friends, including my nephew, who went to college together brainstormed the concept, and production.

They won a $1,000,000 prize after all. The Mans Best Friend commercail which won the focus group poll also won $1,000,000.

http://www.usatoday.com/superbowl46/admeter.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Edit: I should mention that Kevin T Willson the official director of the commercial has been making humanitarion documentaries since college. His dream is to get into commedy.
 
Last edited:
edward said:
Alls well that ends well. Although not winning the Superbowl portion of the contest that was decided by a focus group of only 250 people, Sling Baby just won first place in the overall USA Today online poll.

A group of eight friends, including my nephew, who went to college together brainstormed the concept, and production.

They won a $1,000,000 prize after all. The Mans Best Friend commercail which won the focus group poll also won $1,000,000.

http://www.usatoday.com/superbowl46/admeter.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Edit: I should mention that Kevin T Willson the official director of the commercial has been making humanitarion documentaries since college. His dream is to get into commedy.
Wow, they got $1 million? Woohoo!
 
I loved the Man's Best Friend spot when the dog bribed the guy to "overlook" the disappearance of the cat by giving him Doritos. Cute concept!
 
Wow! That's a nice prize, even split among 8 people. It just shows how useless focus groups are. Glad your nephew and friends won the popular vote. :biggrin:
 
turbo said:
I loved the Man's Best Friend spot when the dog bribed the guy to "overlook" the disappearance of the cat by giving him Doritos. Cute concept!

It was actually my favorite too, and it also won the focus group vote which earned the creator $1 Million. He created his video for $20.