Atmosphere on a hypothetical tidally-locked Earth

In summary: Question for others: Would outgassing be enough to sustain an atmosphere that is constantly freezing on one side of the planet?@Wanderlust: I'm hoping distance from primary shouldn't be a problem...the hypothetical planet should be more-or-less Earth's distance from the sun, but with sufficiently assymetric mass concentrations in it such that it would be locked at such distance. Does that make sense?I don't think so. I think there would need to be significant atmospheric circulation to move the frozen atmosphere around.
cephron
Hey all, I have a few questions about the effects of tide-locking on a planet's atmosphere. Any insights or estimates would be helpful. Thanks!

(Assume, hypothetically, that an earth-like world was tidally locked to its sun--the day side would be perpetually blazing hot, and the night side freezing cold)

1) Would all the water end up trapped as ice on the night side?
Would sublimation of ice be enough to keep some in the atmosphere?

2) Might even carbon dioxide or other atmospheric gasses freeze/liquefy on the night side?

3) Suppose the planet had oceans like earth; would heat diffusion through the ocean be even close enough to keep the night side ocean liquid?

4) Only one side of the planet receives heat...and because of the super-slow rotation, we've probably lost a lot of coriolis force. Under these conditions, would there even be prevailing winds?

5) Suppose the planet still had a moon equivalent to ours...is it still possible for it to be tidally-locked to its primary?

Thanks for any input. :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would think any moon would be unstable that close to a star. None of the (tidally locked) moons in our system have a moon.

I think there would be significant atmospheric circulation, so perhaps the atmosphere would transfer heat.

Question for others: Would outgassing be enough to sustain an atmosphere that is constantly freezing on one side of the planet?

@Wanderlust: I'm hoping distance from primary shouldn't be a problem...the hypothetical planet should be more-or-less Earth's distance from the sun, but with sufficiently assymetric mass concentrations in it such that it would be locked at such distance. Does that make sense?

Thank you for your input on atmosphere...could you perhaps expand on why you think there would be significant circulation? While I'm no meteorologist, I understand coriolis force and the rhythmic heating of air around the Earth to be the main driving forces for weather.

cephron said:
@Wanderlust: I'm hoping distance from primary shouldn't be a problem...the hypothetical planet should be more-or-less Earth's distance from the sun, but with sufficiently assymetric mass concentrations in it such that it would be locked at such distance. Does that make sense?

Oh okay, usually when people say tidally locked I assume a planet around a red dwarf or very close to the star or other object. I am not sure, i would think tidal forces from the moon would disrupt tidal locking in small amounts. That last It would be interesting to see what the experts on the board say.

Such a planet would have started with a very slow rotation rate. That brings up another interesting idea, could Venus become tidally locked soon with its slow rotation rate?
Thank you for your input on atmosphere...could you perhaps expand on why you think there would be significant circulation? While I'm no meteorologist, I understand coriolis force and the rhythmic heating of air around the Earth to be the main driving forces for weather.

Im no expert on it as I am only a generalist, but I've read that the vast temperature difference would produce very large circulation systems convecting heat on the planet. Ie massive continuous wind storms at the terminator.

cephron said:
Hey all, I have a few questions about the effects of tide-locking on a planet's atmosphere. Any insights or estimates would be helpful. Thanks!

(Assume, hypothetically, that an earth-like world was tidally locked to its sun--the day side would be perpetually blazing hot, and the night side freezing cold)

1) Would all the water end up trapped as ice on the night side?
Would sublimation of ice be enough to keep some in the atmosphere?

1 (a) No, as oceanic currents would convey warmth, just like heat transport from the Earth's equator to the Poles.
1(b) Sublimation is negligible below 140 K. But I doubt it'd ever get that cold.

2) Might even carbon dioxide or other atmospheric gasses freeze/liquefy on the night side?

Not likely. Enough CO2 to freeze would likely cause too much heat to be transported. No way would oxygen or nitrogen freeze. Would never get cold enough.

3) Suppose the planet had oceans like earth; would heat diffusion through the ocean be even close enough to keep the night side ocean liquid?

See 1(a). Sea-ice would form, but the heat from below would mean it remains relatively shallow.

4) Only one side of the planet receives heat...and because of the super-slow rotation, we've probably lost a lot of coriolis force. Under these conditions, would there even be prevailing winds?

From sub-solar to the anti-solar point. A huge Hadley cell would form. Thus there would be wind. Wind is powered by thermal gradients NOT Coriolis forces. Those cause rotating weathering systems - i.e. a source of vorticity - but don't power the winds.

5) Suppose the planet still had a moon equivalent to ours...is it still possible for it to be tidally-locked to its primary?

A Moon could exist, but it would ultimately spiral into the planet, as tides from the Moon acting on a much slower rotating planet would act as a brake on the Moon, not the planet. The Moon would also need to orbit well within the planet's Hill Sphere else it would be lost via perturbations.

Thanks for any input. :)

You're welcome.

1. What is a tidally-locked Earth?

A tidally-locked Earth is a hypothetical planet where one side always faces its star, while the other side is in perpetual darkness. It is often referred to as a "tidal lock" or "captured rotation."

2. How would the atmosphere be affected on a tidally-locked Earth?

The atmosphere on a tidally-locked Earth would be significantly different from our current Earth. The extreme temperature differences between the hot and cold sides of the planet would create strong winds, which would distribute heat and moisture throughout the atmosphere. This could result in a thicker atmosphere on the hot side and a thinner atmosphere on the cold side.

3. Would there be any habitable zones on a tidally-locked Earth?

Yes, there could potentially be habitable zones on a tidally-locked Earth. The area between the hot and cold sides, known as the "twilight zone," could have moderate temperatures and potentially support life. However, the extreme conditions on both sides of the planet would make it difficult for life to thrive.

4. How would the day-night cycle affect the atmosphere on a tidally-locked Earth?

The lack of a traditional day-night cycle on a tidally-locked Earth would have a significant impact on the atmosphere. The constant exposure to heat and sunlight on one side of the planet and the lack of it on the other side would create extreme weather patterns and potentially lead to the formation of different types of clouds and other atmospheric phenomena.

5. Could humans survive on a tidally-locked Earth?

It is unlikely that humans could survive on a tidally-locked Earth. The extreme temperature differences, strong winds, and lack of a traditional day-night cycle would make it difficult for humans to adapt and thrive. Additionally, the lack of a stable atmosphere and potential lack of habitable zones would make it challenging for humans to survive without advanced technology and support systems.