Is Naive Set Theory by Paul Halmos a Must-Read for Math Enthusiasts?

In summary, the book is a great primer on set theory, and is worth picking up if you're looking to get started in the topic.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I skimmed this book while reading the opening chapter in the book Topology by James Munkres. The writting style of Paul Halmos is superb. There are not many problems designated as exercises; however, as I believe the author points out, the entire book is essentially an exercise. Hence, you will have plenty to do (verifying claims, filling in details, etc.)

There are really no downsides to this text. Like I mentioned earlier, I used this book as a light supplement. But, I will say that carefully working through the opening chapter in Munkres provides a very solid foundation. I really did not need this book, but it did certainly have a refreshing style!

jmjlt88 said:
There are really no downsides to this text. Like I mentioned earlier, I used this book as a light supplement.
I guess one downside is that it doesn't develop set theory using ZFC IIRC.

WannabeNewton, yes, you are right! I should have said that there are no downsides to the book when used as a supplement. For those interested diving deep into Set Theory (and perhaps never surfacing), Jech's tome would certainly be one route to take. =)

jmjlt88 said:
For those interested diving deep into Set Theory (and perhaps never surfacing), Jech's tome would certainly be one route to take. =)
Warning: when he says you will never resurface, he isn't kidding.

Naive set theory is a book I read as a very young student, maybe in high school. You read it once, it gives you the universal language of mathematics and you never need to consult it again. I recommend it to anyone to learn the basic language of the subject. Nothing deep here, but everything is useful.

This remains one of my favourite math texts. It gives you the language of sets and relations, functions and cartesian products, equivalence classes and 'the axiom of choice', plus a little more advanced set theory, in an easily digested format. You'll also understand Russell's paradox in a new way.

Besides Halmos is a sublime communicator - one of the best in the business. You can pick up reprints up for $10-$15, and they're worth it purely for the example of crystal clear mathematical communication.

1. What is Naive Set Theory?

Naive Set Theory is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It was developed by mathematician Paul Halmos and is based on the idea of intuitively defining sets rather than using formal axioms.

2. What are the basic concepts of Naive Set Theory?

The basic concepts of Naive Set Theory include sets, elements, subsets, unions, intersections, and complements. Sets are collections of objects, elements are the individual objects within a set, subsets are smaller collections of elements within a set, and unions, intersections, and complements are operations that can be performed on sets.

3. What are the main principles of Naive Set Theory?

The main principles of Naive Set Theory include the extensionality principle, which states that two sets are equal if and only if they have the same elements, and the comprehension principle, which states that a set can be defined by specifying the properties that its elements must satisfy.

4. What are the limitations of Naive Set Theory?

One of the main limitations of Naive Set Theory is that it does not have a formal and rigorous foundation, which can lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies. It also does not have the ability to handle infinite sets and cannot account for the concept of infinity itself.

5. How is Naive Set Theory used in other areas of mathematics?

Naive Set Theory forms the basis for many other areas of mathematics, such as algebra, topology, and analysis. It is also used in other fields such as computer science, philosophy, and linguistics, as it provides a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing mathematical structures and concepts.