Anyone have read Naive Set Theory by Halmos?

In summary: I might sometime in the future.In summary, the book is about introducing beginning students of advanced mathematics to the basic notions of set theory. It is terse and expects the reader to fill in the details of the arguments. It would be useful for someone intending to study math at the graduate level, but is not useful for physics students.
Ashuron
Hi,

I just found cheap Naive Set Theory by Halmos.
I am wondering if it is worth buying.

I have read somewhere it helps reading more advanced books.
Plus it's small, it's easy to carry around. I do not like to bring heavy bag to the library.

I am a Physics major.
I have taken Calc 1-3 and Linear Algebra.
I do not specifically want to learn Set Theory.
Just want to read it to help my understanding on mathematics.

I just need some input here.
Anyone with experience or expertise feel free to comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the book and read it. To paraphrase the Preface, the purpose of the book is to introduce beginning students of advanced mathematics to the basic notions of set theory. Halmos mentions groups, integrals and manifolds as the sort of advanced math he has in mind. The style of the book is terse. Halmos expects the reader to fill in the details of his arguments.

I think that this book would be useful for someone who intends to study math at the graduate level. Whether a physics major would find it useful, I don't know.

OK
thx a lot..

I don't recommend this book to a physicist. It's a very good book, and it's very useful to math students. However, physics students will find this book useless. Except if you want to study set theory of course,...

Thx a lot micromass

Nope, i do not specifically want to learn set theory..
I just think to read more advanced math text, some set theory perhaps will be useful..

Hmm, for the maths you need for physics, I don't think set theory will be of much use. In fact, I think most mathematicians have no need for set theory. And it's certainly not useful in physics.

However, set theory is a very beautiful subject. (my opinion). But don't expect many applications from it, not even in mathematics itself...

That has pretty much convinced me not to buy the book..
Good thing actually, I am trying to review math I have learned so far..
So I do not have much time

1. What is the book "Naive Set Theory" by Halmos about?

The book "Naive Set Theory" by Paul Halmos is an introductory text on the foundations of set theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects.

2. Is "Naive Set Theory" a suitable book for beginners?

Yes, "Naive Set Theory" is often recommended as a good starting point for those interested in learning about set theory as it presents the material in a clear and accessible manner.

3. What are some of the topics covered in "Naive Set Theory"?

The book covers topics such as basic concepts of set theory, relations, functions, cardinality, and the axiom of choice.

4. How is "Naive Set Theory" different from other books on set theory?

"Naive Set Theory" is unique in that it presents the material in an intuitive and informal manner, making it easier for beginners to grasp the concepts. It also includes exercises and examples to aid in understanding.

5. Can "Naive Set Theory" be used as a reference book?

While "Naive Set Theory" is primarily an introductory text, it can also serve as a reference for those studying set theory as it covers the fundamental concepts in depth and provides a solid foundation for further study.