Farewell to the PF Community :smile:

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, arildno has been a valuable member of the physicsforums community for over 10 years, and will be deeply missed.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
For over 10 years, PF has been an important place in my life, with many joys, and challenges to solve in educating students. I am deeply thankful for having been a part of this community, and met so many wonderful people here. But, all good things will reach their natural conclusion sometime, and for personal reasons, it is unlikely I will visit PF again.

So long and thanks for all the fish (although I am "too old" to have been fish-slapped)

:smile:

Likes Enigman, consciousness and Nikitin
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for everything arildno! :smile: :cry:

Do we have a finishing ceremony with something different than slappings with fish?

Bye bye, have fun.

Sorry to see you go. Thanks for all the help.

What's wrong arildno? Why leave so suddenly :cry:
Is there anything we can do to help? Please PM me if there's anything you want to talk about :frown:

Likes gracy
arildno said:
For over 10 years, PF has been an important place in my life, with many joys, and challenges to solve in educating students. I am deeply thankful for having been a part of this community, and met so many wonderful people here. But, all good things will reach their natural conclusion sometime, and for personal reasons, it is unlikely I will visit PF again.

So long and thanks for all the fish (although I am "too old" to have been fish-slapped)

:smile:

Farewell, arildno. Your service and presence here have been wonderful. I remember we had some fun banter and you were always an interesting, and often humorous poster.

I joined the same year as you , and my own 10-year "anniversary" is approaching fast. And while your immense contribution dwarfs my own more modest effort, I too have an increasing sense of ennui about participating in PF. For this, and other reasons, I might make the same decision when my "time" comes. For what it's worth - I understand the argument.

So - farewell and good luck.

(PS: I'm too old to have been fish-slapped too!)

Last edited:
No Arildno, NOOOOO!..

:cry:

You're my friend.

:frown:

This makes me very sad.

Is it April first or something similar?

??*still not getting it*

drizzle said:
Is it April first or something similar?

??

*still not getting it*

No but it was May 17( Norwegian Constitution Day)!

I will miss your unique clarity and insight. Good luck to you Arildno

Goodbye Arildno, and thank you.

Quote Quote by arildno
I don't know if I've posted this before, but Diana Damrau's performance as The Queen of the Night is just magical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuKxL4LOqc

me said:
More opera please. :smile:

I don't know that I ever liked Opera, before I saw that video. :thumbs:

Your name, will always, live in my head.

Hope it's not health related. That could be the only reason I'd think of for not coming back.

Unfortunately, Arild will never join a discussion here at physicsforums again.

This forum was one of Arild's favourite places, where he found people who could match his intellect, and where he felt truly appreciated. We thank you all for the important role you, as a community and as individuals, played in his life.

In the real world, Arild had more problems than most finding his role, and you can all imagine how much we regret having to tell you he gave up last Saturday. During his last days he was happy, little did we know this was because he had made the decision that his role would forever remain in the past. We are still waiting for his body to be found, but the sharp, piercing light of his intellect has stopped shining on us all.

This account will stay open for a couple of weeks. Please send us a private message if you want information related to his funeral when that time comes.

For the administrators, please send an e-mail to the registered e-mail address if you want to verify who we are.

Warm thoughts,

Arild's family

Arilds family said:

This forum was one of Arild's favourite places, where he found people who could match his intellect, and where he felt truly appreciated. We thank you all for the important role you, as a community and as individuals, played in his life.

In the real world, Arild had more problems than most finding his role, and you can all imagine how much we regret having to tell you he gave up last Saturday. During his last days he was happy, little did we know this was because he had made the decision that his role would forever remain in the past. We are still waiting for his body to be found, but the sharp, piercing light of his intellect has stopped shining on us all.

This account will stay open for a couple of weeks. Please send us a private message if you want information related to his funeral when that time comes.

For the administrators, please send an e-mail to the registered e-mail address if you want to verify who we are.

Warm thoughts,

Arild's family

I am completely shocked. I had no idea what he planned to do. I wish I knew, maybe there's something we could have done :cry:

Please accept my greatest condolences to the entire family. Arild was one of my favorite posters here. I will surely miss him. He has left a hole in the forums that can never be filled again. I can't imagine what it must be for his family :cry:

If anything, I wish that he's happy now...

There's not much I can do, but I'm going to change my avatar to a completely black one for some time in respect to this great person.

This is beyond sad. :frown:

This is so sad to read. My condolences to his family and friends, both offline and online. We should all remember that there is a real person behind each post we read and making just a little more effort to be kind and respectful can mean a lot to someone, even if it's not immediately obvious. It sounds like he truly enjoyed his time here with the community.

This is sad. My condolences to his family. He was a great member, so cheerful and helpful. To pay respect,I have decolourized my avatar.

There is a PF chat going on now in Arild's memory, everybody is welcome:

https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm devastated. I miss you Arildno. You were loved.

Arilds family said:

Warm thoughts,

Arild's family
We've just missed the anniversary of the passing of our dear friend arildno. You are missed dear friend. :oldcry:

Last edited:
Likes Enigman, lisab, davenn and 7 others
So sorry, I didn't realize this thread was closed. Anyone that would wish to say something, please do.

Likes berkeman and mheslep
Evo said:
We've just missed the anniversary of the passing of our dear friend arildno. You are missed dear friend. :oldcry:

I almost popped another blood vessel, when I saw you said "We've...".

Well, ok, I probably would have missed it too.
But luckily, he sent me a reminder, on the 17th, and I posted it in the "Best Songs" thread, the next day. :angel:
He would probably have not have approved of https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-songs-ever-2.718488/page-28#post-5111904, but I don't really give a, hoot.

ps. The little scheister, did not respond to my request to tell me when the Morels were out this year. :oldgrumpy:

Know what, maybe I should write up that pochhammer article I told you I would do but never did. I'll think about it ok? Help me?

I was shocked for a moment when I saw his name as a starter of a thread!:oldfrown:

He should have left us a picture of him so that we can look at him again from time to time then cry missing him too much. The next person leaving us should do this.

So sad, such a loss. I wish he made a different choice.

Doh!
We missed his birthday, yesterday.
Well, not a complete "we". Though I did not know it was his birthday, until just now.

I was rummaging through the riverside landscape, in the aforementioned yesterday, cursing him regarding the "Morel" issue again, when I ran across a big blue cross.
It was planted for someone named "Jay" last year, born in 1989.
I didn't know "Jay", so I carved a big "A" in the back of the cross.
Ok. "big" might be a bit of an exaggeration, as I used my thumbnail, and the "A" was about 3/4 of an inch tall.

In any event, I often think of Arild. :smile:

ps. I just found out who "Jay" was; "Jay ... had been shuttling people to Bachelor Island" in his boat.
Bachelor Island is a delightful place. I'm sure Arild would have enjoyed it, even with the lack of moose, and pickles.

pps. A thousand other thoughts, and memories are sequestered, as I don't have time.

Arild! Will you please help me build this fence! I need some ideas...

1. What inspired you to write "Farewell to the PF Community"?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the power of community and how it can shape our lives. The PF Community, in particular, has been a source of inspiration and support for me throughout my career. I wanted to express my gratitude and say goodbye in a meaningful way.

2. What message do you hope readers take away from your farewell?

I hope readers are reminded of the importance of community and the impact it can have on our personal and professional growth. I also hope to inspire others to reflect on their own experiences with the PF Community and appreciate the connections they have made.

3. How has the PF Community influenced your work as a scientist?

The PF Community has been a valuable source of knowledge and collaboration. Through discussions and sharing of ideas, I have been able to expand my understanding of various scientific topics and improve my research methods.

4. Do you have any advice for those who are leaving the PF Community?

My advice would be to stay connected with the community in some way, whether it be through social media or attending events. The connections and support within the PF Community are invaluable and can continue to benefit you in your personal and professional life.

5. What will you miss most about the PF Community?

I will miss the sense of camaraderie and the opportunity to connect with individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. The PF Community has been a welcoming and supportive space, and I will always cherish the memories and connections I have made here.