Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1/3 cannot be expressed in decimal form?

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    Somome told me this. So, this is wrong:

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{3} = 0.\overline{3}}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2
    Sure it can. What you wrote is the decimal form of 1/3.
  4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    It seems so obvious that it can be. But someone claimed "it's not allowed in college algebra"...:confused:
  5. Jul 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did that once on a homework assignment: wrote 0.3 with a bar over the 3 instead of writing 1/3. My teacher, who had a great sense of humor, pointed it out to the class, explaining that the bar prevented me from using an infinite amount of paper to express my answer.
  6. Jul 9, 2008 #5
    Doesn't that go against the definition of a rational number?
  7. Jul 9, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

This appears to be yet another question on 0.999...=1 in disguise.
  8. Jul 9, 2008 #7
    pi isn't rational, but that doesn't stop us from using it in algebra???
  9. Jul 9, 2008 #8
    I wasn't talking about using irrational numbers in algebra:confused:...

I was saying that a number that can be expressed as a simplified fraction, can also be expressed as a repeating decimal. That's one of the definitions of a rational number.
  10. Jul 9, 2008 #9
    My mistake. I now read your original post as advocating that, yes, you can in fact represent 1/3 in decimal form.
  11. Jul 10, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You cannot write 1/3 in a FINITE series of decimals.

That does not prohibit, you, however, from inventing a symbol to signify an INFINITE series of decimals, by which 1/3 might certainly be written down.
  12. Jul 10, 2008 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it doesn't. A rational number is one that can be represented as a fraction. It doesn't mean that it cannot also be represented in other forms also.
  13. Jul 10, 2008 #12
    Was the person who told you this trying to tell you that 1/3 could not be expressed in a finite decimal? That would turn out to be a true statement. Otherwise I agree with all the above posts.
  14. Jul 10, 2008 #13
    I don't understand your post. You're saying I'm wrong, but you're also agreeing with me?
  15. Jul 10, 2008 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

HallsofIvy responded to this:

His comment is entirely explicable due to the complete paucity of content in that post!

By an oversight, he didn't identify this with you:

This is NOT what you said in your first post, it is impossible to deduce the contents of this post from the first one, so given HoI's oversight, how should he have understood what your first post meant?
  16. Jul 10, 2008 #15
    My first comment was directed at your initial post, "1/3 cannot be expressed in decimal form." I responded, "[If 1/3 is not equal to .3~] Wouldn't that go against the definition of a rational number?" Which it does. How are people confused by this?
  17. Jul 10, 2008 #16

Science Advisor

Don't worry epkid08. I realized that your first reply was a direct response to the original poster and took it the way that I'm sure you meant it to be interpreted.

Some people (quite understandably) thought that you were responding to the immediately previous reply and that made it look a little like you were saying the opposite of what I (and I'm sure others) understood you to be saying.
  18. Jul 10, 2008 #17
    Might be a good idea to quote which ever post you want to reply to...
  19. Jul 10, 2008 #18
    Who are you talking to? how ironic
  20. Jul 10, 2008 #19
    This is off-topic, but I've always wondered why many people who refuse to believe that 1 = 0.9... readily believe that 1/3 = 0.3...
  21. Jul 10, 2008 #20
    Reminds me of 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32...=1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?