10,000 Toothpick Model of a Bridge What Do You Think?

In summary, the speaker built a 10,000 toothpick model of a bridge in 8th grade for a math class project. The bridge was originally planned to span 5 feet, but ended up being slightly shorter. It was able to hold 70 pounds, but the speaker did not want to test it any further. The process took 2 months and involved using wood glue instead of hot glue. The speaker used a unique solution to create the arc shape and built it layer by layer. Overall, the project was very impressive and cool.
The Maker
I hope that you enjoy my new video! Here is the description:
This is "10,000 Toothpick Model of a Bridge"

Specs

Weight: 1306.15 g
Height: 0.149 m
Length: 1.38 m
Span: 1.16 m
Width Of Foot: 0.195 m
Width Of Roadbed: 0.0615 mI built it in the 8th grade. A project in math class was to build a 1,000 toothpick bridge over a one foot span. My group's bridge held 54 pounds before breaking. The current bridge was planned to span to span 5ft. It fell a little short, but the actual span can be found above in the specs. I had my little sister, who was 70 pounds at the time, stand on the bridge, and it held her weight. She was 70 pounds. I do not want to test it any further! I do not care if it could hold a car and then break, I do not want a broken bridge. It took me about 2 months to complete it (December 2014 - January 2015). The original arc shape was the hardest to get right. I thought about making a huge compass, but that was impractical. I decided to bend a ruler and trace to the formed arc. This turned out to be a very elegant solution. I made toothpick squares and laid them out on the arc on graph paper. From there I built it layer by layer. It slowly formed a solid triangle. I used wood glue instead of hot glue in this project. This was a very good choice.

Likes QuantumQuest and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
Very cool!

Likes The Maker
Charles Link said:
Very impressive ! :) :)
DennisN said:
Very cool!
Thank you both!

Likes Charles Link

1. How long did it take you to build the model?

The 10,000 toothpick model of a bridge took approximately 50 hours to build. This includes planning, designing, and constructing the model.

2. How did you come up with the idea for this project?

I have always been fascinated by bridges and their intricate designs. One day, I saw a picture of a toothpick bridge and thought it would be a fun and challenging project to recreate it on a larger scale.

3. What materials did you use besides toothpicks?

In addition to toothpicks, I also used wood glue, a ruler, a pencil, and a cutting tool. These materials were essential in creating a strong and accurate replica of a bridge.

4. What challenges did you face while building the model?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was ensuring that the toothpicks were all aligned and connected properly. It required a lot of patience and precision to create a stable and realistic structure.

5. How did you ensure the accuracy and stability of the model?

I used a ruler and pencil to carefully measure and mark each toothpick before cutting it to the correct size. I also used wood glue to secure each connection and reinforce any weak spots. Additionally, I made sure to follow the design and structure of a real bridge to ensure accuracy.

Back