10th Anniversary of the 911 attack

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Tsu heard about the attack when she was in Virginia for a seminar. Her day was pretty normal, but her week was affected because she couldn't work. The attack made her feel like she was in the wild west and she had to go through security at the airport. She flew to Huntsville and saw the attacks on TV. It took a long time for her to get on the return flight. After the convocation, she heard that Osama Bin Laden was responsible for the attacks.
I was still in the Air Force and working a night shift for an exercise (just in case we received any calls, etc, since we didn't actually have any part in the excercise).

I was working on a computer with CNN on in the background. The first plane hitting the towers seemed like an oddity, probably due to pilot error. I was shocked when a second plane flew into the towers. My first thought was something had gone horribly wrong with the air traffic control system - except surely the pilot could avoid hitting the exact same towers as the first plane. I still didn't know what was going on when I left that morning.

The initial post-attack reaction was rather bizarre. All non-essential personnel were ordered to stay away from the base, so my role was to stay home for a few days. Not exactly the role I expected as part of the military. And when we could return to the base, the security was pretty intimidating. My daughter came with me to the commissary and, when she saw all the security, she asked when I thought things would get back to normal. I told her I didn't think normal would be the same anymore.

And, then, about a month later I was deployed to Europe to support the operations in Afghanistan. Work-wise, that was about the most satisfying work I ever did in the Air Force. What we were asked to do was a little beyond our capability, but we did have an incredible electrical engineer, and we had a lot of guys with a lot of experience and training. You read about miracle seasons in sports and think that sort of think never happens in real jobs. Turns out that, once in a while, if you're really lucky, it does. We used to laugh when we got to work in the morning wondering what miracle was going to happen today.

I and two other guys built this incredible spreadsheet in Excel that really did make some of the equipment reconfigurations we did possible in minutes instead of hours. I always had a soft spot for those "Great Moments" Microsoft Office commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pRlTE2IcY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was at work, just after lunchtime in the U.K. A colleague came into tell us when the first plane hit. Watched the news online, thinking it was an accident. My wife phoned to tell me as she had heard the news too. Then the second plane hit, and I felt very sick inside, as it was no accident. Then we couldn't watch the news online as (presumably) the internet clogged up

I woke up and was drinking a cup of coffee, ready to follow my usual schedule of checking the news online. But after trying several news sites and failing to connect, even though I had no problem connecting with another site, I was suddenly struck with a feeling that something big was happening. I immediately turned on the TV and saw the first tower burning and didn't know what to think. I saw the second plane hit and in that instant, knew we were under attack.

My neighbor a PhD, and at the time my best friend, called me and said turn on NY1 a local station. He said in a panic, I'm going down there. The news camera was on the towers and reporter guessing at what was happening. I opened my door while looking at the TV and watched nutty bff get into the elevator. I sat down totally confused and the second plane hit on the TV.
The rest of the day people around our street watched down 5th Ave.
Wandered around aimlessly. People unable to get loved ones on the phones. Panic. And calm.
Fire and police screaming around everywhere.
When evening came eveything was very quiet. We walked over to the Armory 3 streets over and the photos and candles were starting to go up or was that the second night?
Before the sun went down I sat with others in the roof garden and the skys were so quiet. A few small jets. No one seemed to understand. Getting in touch with loved ones was the most important things. Getting updates.

Crazy best friend neighbor did go down to the towers. running against the people trying to get out. He caught pictures of the towers coming down ... then he got to run back!

Last edited:
As most people probably know, there is credible but unconfirmed evidence of a pending anniversary attack involving three people, two of which are thought to be Americans. New York and Washington D.C. are thought to be the targets. Increased internet chatter supports the notion that an attack is planned.

Ivan Seeking said:
As most people probably know, there is credible but unconfirmed evidence of a pending anniversary attack involving three people, two of which are thought to be Americans. New York and Washington D.C. are thought to be the targets. Increased internet chatter supports the notion that an attack is planned.

Gads. I am so glad I no longer have cable.

The things you kids watch makes me sad.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/911-anniversary-plot-terror-suspects-inside-us/story?id=14489143

There is an old song lyric that I remember; "Paranoia, will destroy-ya"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ObLGRq33o

Gads, I love the Kinks.

OmCheeto said:
Gads. I am so glad I no longer have cable.

The things you kids watch makes me sad.

I don't know what that means, but good for you!

OmCheeto, Thank you for your service.
I think I understnd what you are trying to say. We are here in the middle of this stiuation in midtown manhattan.
The 10th anniversary feels way over blown and over done for us who were physically here in NYC. I can't speak for people at other sites hit that day nor can we speak for all people who were here and a part of the attack.
The big production for this year feels more like a reaching out to the young people who where here and may have been to young to remember. Including a full blown terror warning. From three men who are going to sneak into this area. Right.

This part of history has to be kept alive in order for people to continue to learn and heal in general. The extremes will eventually have to be reconciled and only the youth of the future can do that and make it last.

Sure the terror alert has made us a little nervous here. But I bet this is more of a history lesson that anything.

Unless NYC eats it today and in that case I will have been wrong and with that I would like to say, :frown: DAMN!~

I was five; it was already late evening here when the thing happened. Dad was in the seas on his ship and mom was hooked on two the TV. I remember, they kept showing how the planes struck the towers and how they fell. I knew something important has been blown up.

Lacy33 said:
Including a full blown terror warning. From three men who are going to sneak into this area. Right.

So, do we assume that there is a credible threat as our intelligence community is telling us, or do we assume this is some sort of conspiracy; and to what end?

It would be irresponsible to lie or conceal information about a credible threat. And it's not like Obama is using this as a pretense to invade a country. :biggrin:

Also, a credible threat doesn't mean the loss of NY. It seems like you are both overreacting and then dismissing factual information in favor of conspiracies or paranoia, based on your own exaggeration of the threat. They are particulary worried about two rental trucks, which suggests to me something like an Oklahoma City style attack.

Ivan Seeking said:
They are particulary worried about two rental trucks, which suggests to me something like an Oklahoma City style attack.

It suggests to me that they're just insanely cautious and rightly so. I think we can all forgive the government for going overboard for a day or two :)

I wonder how often U-hauls get stolen in the first place.

Ivan Seeking said:
So, do we assume that there is a credible threat as our intelligence community is telling us, or do we assume this is some sort of conspiracy; and to what end?

It would be irresponsible to lie or conceal information about a credible threat. And it's not like Obama is using this as a pretense to invade a country. :biggrin:

Also, a credible threat doesn't mean the loss of NY. It seems like you are both overreacting and then dismissing factual information in favor of conspiracies or paranoia, based on your own exaggeration of the threat. They are particulary worried about two rental trucks, which suggests to me something like an Oklahoma City style attack.

OK. Thanks

This dear family is very close to mine. Since the time of the attack a Torah Scroll has been written and dedicated in Shimmy's memory. The account is shortened, but because of whatever the situation and technology at hand on the occasion, this is one of the stories that was saved in dialog. I read it years ago.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/General+News/102729/In-Memory-of-Shimmy-Biegeleisen-HYD%2C-911-Terror-Victim.html"

I don't think I am overreacting or dismissing anything regarding threats. I am trying to see a better side to this all. Overreacting is more reserved for people who are somewhat distanced from a dangerous situation. Most of my experience with crisis and violence would be that people are more controlled until out of danger, real or perceived.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/09/11/sweden.arrests/index.html"

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/09/09/2011-09-09_citys_sweeping_911_antiterrorism_precautions_meant_to_scare_wouldbe_attackers_up.html#ixzz1XcD0aGZy"

Lacy33 said:
OmCheeto, Thank you for your service.
I think I understnd what you are trying to say. ...

Actually, I was trying to point out that I was blissfully ignorant of the whole new terrorist plot until Ivan mentioned it.

The Kinks tune was probably inappropriate, as this does look like a credible threat. If I were a moderator, I'd probably have deleted the post and given myself a warning, for https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=451617".

Bad OmCheeto! Bad!

OmCheeto said:
Actually, I was trying to point out that I was blissfully ignorant of the whole new terrorist plot until Ivan mentioned it.

The Kinks tune was probably inappropriate, as this does look like a credible threat. If I were a moderator, I'd probably have deleted the post and given myself a warning, for https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=451617".

Bad OmCheeto! Bad!

Thank you for saying how "Old" I am, long ago. I appreciate that now. :smile:

The following is a wonderful video of a guy who loved the view of the twin towers. It starts out a bit slow, like my friend Bob, who takes forever to tell a story. But the subject, like my friend Bob, is in his 70's, so that's just the way they do it.

Simon Leventhal, is as brutally honest with himself, and in regards to life, as I hope someday to be.

Turn off your TV's, and enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAuo9mwcHCI

:smile:
Thank goodness this day is almost over.

Pretty sure I was in history class, either 7th or 8th grade. I didn't know what to think, I was just a kid. It hits me more now.

mcknia07 said:
Pretty sure I was in history class, either 7th or 8th grade. I didn't know what to think, I was just a kid. It hits me more now.

I rest my case and I have a brand new mattress that hubby has been hogging for hours.
It's my turn.

mcknia07, Please make better the future. :smile:

9-11 is OVER!~

Lacy33 said:
I rest my case and I have a brand new mattress that hubby has been hogging for hours.
It's my turn.

mcknia07, Please make better the future. :smile:

9-11 is OVER!~

Yay! Now, off to bed with you...sweet dreams!

I try not to watch the tv specials. Too sad and depressing. I'm young still :)

Here are http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/galleries/911_anniversary_ceremony_at_wtc/911_anniversary_ceremony_at_wtc.html" taken on September 11th, no words to describe them are necessary.

Rhody...