1982 MIT Pranking of Harvard-Yale (American) Football Game

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Mit
In summary, a group of MIT frat members successfully pulled off a prank during a football game by inflating a weather balloon with their school's name on it. This prank took four years of planning and adds a fun twist to the Harvard-Yale game.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just saw this on ESPN (I never heard of this before) and found it hilarious:

An MIT frat buried a device under that turf of the football field and during the game triggered it to poke up out of the ground and inflate a weather balloon with MIT written all over it.

The prank was 4 years in the making.
This ESPN article reviews the history leading upto this prank because there is another Harvard-Yale game today.
There is also a video interview of some frat members.
Now I know a good reason to have frats around.
i.jpg

Attachments

• i.jpg
    i.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 684
Likes Ygggdrasil
Science news on Phys.org
There has to be an easier way to do that. Wonder why they didn't use a cylinder of gas rather than an air pump.

This prank definitely takes creativity and planning to a whole new level. It's impressive that the frat was able to keep this prank a secret for four years and execute it during a highly anticipated game between MIT and Harvard. It's also funny to imagine the reactions of the players and coaches when they saw the weather balloon with MIT written all over it. Kudos to the frat for pulling off such a clever and harmless prank. It definitely adds a fun and lighthearted element to the intense rivalry between the two schools.

What happened during the 1982 MIT Pranking of Harvard-Yale Football Game?

In 1982, a group of MIT students successfully pulled off a prank during the Harvard-Yale football game. They altered the halftime scoreboard to make it appear as though MIT was leading, and dropped balloons filled with paint on the field, spelling out "MIT".

Why did the MIT students prank the Harvard-Yale football game?

The prank was a tradition at MIT, where students would prank their rival school, Harvard, during the annual football game. This particular prank was organized by the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Did the MIT students face any consequences for their prank?

No, the MIT students did not face any serious consequences for their prank. The university and the police did not press charges, and the Harvard and Yale students found the prank to be humorous.

Has this prank been repeated in subsequent years?

Yes, the MIT prank has become a tradition and has been repeated in subsequent years. Each year, the students come up with new and creative ways to prank their rival schools during the game.

What impact did the 1982 MIT Pranking of Harvard-Yale Football Game have on the schools and their rivalry?

The prank added to the already intense rivalry between MIT and Harvard, and became a memorable moment in the history of the two universities. It also showcased the creativity and ingenuity of the MIT students, and brought a lighter and more playful atmosphere to the competition between the two schools.