1st year high school geometry proof

Iamconfused123
Homework Statement
Above the sides AB and CD of paralelogram ABCD two equilateral triangle are formed ADN and DCM. Prove that triangle BMN is equilateral.
Relevant Equations
SAS - side, angle, side
I have proved that triangles around the equilateral triangle are congruent, but I don't know how to prove that they are arranged in such a way that they actually do form an equilateral triangle. Like, do I write that they do form an equilateral because it's given in the problem that triangles are drawn above the AD and CD sides and that because of that the vertices MNB are equally distanced from each other or? Or should I prove that triangle MNB has all angles of 60 degrees? But how do I do that, all I know for sure is that rectangle has 90 degree angles and that triangles ADN and DCM have 60 degree interior angles.

photo is in the attatchments

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20231206_053147[1].jpg
    IMG_20231206_053147[1].jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 24
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of an equilateral triangle?

You have three triangles ABN, BCM, DMN. What can you say about them?

The angle NDM can be computed by 360-60-60-90

Last edited:
Likes Iamconfused123
jedishrfu said:
What's the definition of an equilateral triangle?

You have three triangles ABN, BCM, DMN. What can you say about them?
They have all same sides and all same angles

EDIT: Equilateral has all same sides and all same angles. And these 3 are congruent, they are the same.

You can now say you have three equal sides and three equal angles hence you have an ______ triangle.

jedishrfu said:
The angle NDM can be computed by 360-60-60-90
I mean, yes, I know. But, like, I still don't know these angles(circled ones)

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 26
I don't think you need them.

The three dashed lines are all equal and share the three points B, M, and N. Hence you have an equilateral triangle

Equilateral triangles have three properties:
1) three sides are equal
2) three interior angles are equal and hence are 60 degrees
3) there are three lines of symmetry

Just by knowing it's an equilateral triangle from the sides and you know it has three 60-degree angles.

1701842726338.png

So NB=BM=MN qed.

Attachments

• 1701842107833.png
    1701842107833.png
    52 KB · Views: 24
Likes Iamconfused123, SammyS and jedishrfu
Yes, but for example, what if we had 3 congruent triangles not connected by parallelogram and triangles on the sides of paralelogram, we'd still have three congruent triangles, but they wouldn't form equilateral triangle.

I know that there is equilateral triangle, the scheme is there, all sides equal, all angles equal. But how do I prove that other three triangles are position in such a way that they actually do form an equilateral triangle, since that is the base of our proof(proof is based on the fact that other three triangles are congruent and positioned in a proper way, we have proved that they are congruent , but how do we prove that they are positioned in such a way that they actually form eqlat triangle, we don't know other two angles and they seem to be pretty similar, we can't know for sure).

I feel like I am supposed to explain that the triangle is eqlat with information given in the problem. Like, it's eqlat because eqlat triangles on the sides of the parallelogram form a shape that makes eqlat triangle when NBM points are connected.

It's not so much how can I prove that NBM is qlat triangle, more of a what should I give as a reason for concluding so. If I say because these three are congruent then I need to know how are they positioned and I don't know the angles. The other explnanation would be; because that is the property of the shape we have gotten by drawing eqlat triangles on the side of parallelogram.

If you prove 3 sides of a triangle are all equal , then it's an equilateral triangle. And you have proven - you are done!

Likes Iamconfused123
Iamconfused123 said:
I mean, yes, I know. But, like, I still don't know these angles(circled ones)
You should be more careful. The bottom line of your diagram starts with triangle NAD. Shouldn't that be NAB? One thing you learn in math is to be very careful. It's a learned skill.

neilparker62 said:
If you prove 3 sides of a triangle are all equal , then it's an equilateral triangle. And you have proven - you are done!

FactChecker said:
You should be more careful. The bottom line of your diagram starts with triangle NAD. Shouldn't that be NAB? One thing you learn in math is to be very careful. It's a learned skill.
It is NAB, not sure what you refer to

Iamconfused123 said:
It is NAB, not sure what you refer to
Did you take a close look at the hand-written work you posted? That sure looks like NAD to me.

FactChecker said:
Did you take a close look at the hand-written work you posted? That sure looks like NAD to me.
Oh, I see now. I was looking at the sketch, there is all fine, didn't even check the writing. I should be more careful. Thanks

Likes FactChecker
1701854661440.png

Strictly speaking we should write: $$\Delta NAB \cong \Delta BCM \cong \Delta NDM\;SAS$$ Letter order is important when you are indicating either congruency or similarity of two or more triangles.

Likes Iamconfused123 and FactChecker

1. What is a proof in geometry?

A proof in geometry is a logical argument that shows a statement is true based on established facts, definitions, and properties. It involves a series of logical steps that lead to a conclusion.

2. How do you start a proof in high school geometry?

When starting a proof in high school geometry, it is important to identify what needs to be proven and any given information or assumptions. From there, you can use definitions, postulates, and theorems to build a logical argument to prove the statement.

3. What are the different types of proofs in geometry?

There are several types of proofs in geometry, including direct proofs, indirect proofs (proof by contradiction), two-column proofs, and proofs by mathematical induction. Each type of proof has its own structure and approach to proving a statement.

4. How do you know if a high school geometry proof is correct?

A high school geometry proof is considered correct if it follows a logical sequence of steps that are supported by valid definitions, postulates, and theorems. It should clearly explain how the given information leads to the desired conclusion.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful high school geometry proof?

Some tips for writing a successful high school geometry proof include clearly stating what needs to be proven, organizing your proof with logical steps, citing relevant definitions and theorems, and checking your work for errors or gaps in reasoning. Practice and familiarity with geometric concepts will also help improve your proof-writing skills.