1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 dimensional elastic collision

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1
    Hey, I'm having problems with this:

A particle m with initial speed V1 collides with a particle at rest with mass 3m. After collision, particle with mass m is seen moving 30 degrees from its initial direction. What is the angle of motion of the 2nd particle after collision?

I can get three equations from momentum and energy for three unknowns but I can't solve it. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2
    Show me your equations.

4. Nov 28, 2006 #3
    x-component:

V1 = v1cos30 + 3VcosC

y-component:

v1sin30 = 3VsinC

Energy:

V1^2 = v1^2 + 3V^2,

where C is the unknown angle, v1, V are the final velocities of the m and 3m masses.

5. Nov 28, 2006 #4
    That's not exactly how I'd go about it. oops nevermind lol.

6. Nov 28, 2006 #5
    Well you see your equation 1 gives you what V1 is. So you can plug that into equation 3. Now you are only left with 2 uknowns, V and C. Now equation 2 gives you a way of getting rid of V. So now you only have 1 equation and 1 unknown, C.

btw, conservation of momentun does not use angles.

I should say conservation of momentum does not have to use angles. So if it helps, go ahead and use the total conservation of momentum equation.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  7. Nov 28, 2006 #6
    that's wrong. Ill explain tomorrow why. Anyways thax.

8. Nov 28, 2006 #7
    Your equation in the y direction needs a negative sign.

Also, you will use angles.

9. Nov 28, 2006 #8
    Please can someone actually help?

10. Nov 28, 2006 #9

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equations seem correct (C will then be a negative angle). What's your problem in solving them ?

You need to solve for the quantities v1, V and C and you have 3 equations.

Try to eliminate v1 and V using the first two equations to write everything as a function of C in the third one, and you'll have an equation for your angle C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?