2 identical parallel centrifugal pumps ?

In summary, the two centrifugal pumps are under the tank, so they have a +ve suction head. They take water from the tank and deliver it to a simple pipes network to achieve the required processes with the water. However, sometimes when one of the pumps is operated, there is no water at all in the circuit though the vortex of suction can be seen in the tank. All of the heat exchangers are okay, but the problem may be with the pump itself. If the pump head is high for this application, it may be the problem. Closing the pump's discharge valve may solve the problem.
maxx_payne
2 identical parallel centrifugal pumps ?

hello everyone i have a very confusing problem with a cold water system sonsists of 2 identical centrifugal pumps their position is under the tank so there is always a +ve suction head then those pumps takes water from the tank and deliver it to a very simple pipes network to achieve the required processes with the water such as cooling gases via heat exchangers and this water is used also as feed water to some other water systems but to make cooling """other words """"""""" closed circuit

so the problem now is that some times when i operate one pump i found out that there is no water at all in the circuit althoug i can see the vortex of suction in the tank
also all of the heat exchangers are okay no mixing
i don't know where does the water go ?

and when i work both of them everything is okay
but each pump is 100 hp and 196 m3/hr and has a head of more than 100 mt
so can this be an impeller problem of the pump ?
or what's the problem i don't know ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

its a very big problem i know can anyone help me ?

Is it possible that the flow is going back to the tank via the second pump? If you have isolating valves try shuting off the non-running pump.

well i have also check those valves

but u know there is a phase in the flow in pipes nammed syphon ?? can it be this problem ?

but the pump head is very high for this application

Dear MR or Modam:

I think you don't have the CHECK VALVE in the discharg of pumps. yor prolem hapend in the time tath you don't close the shoted pump discharg valve .
the water circulate inthe shoted pump .and it cuse the rotation of shoted pump in on usual rotation side and probably cuse to open the impeller nut of shoted pump.

close the shoted pumps valves to solve the problem.

Mortaza Lotfi

lotfiplan@hotmail.com

1. How do 2 identical parallel centrifugal pumps work?

Centrifugal pumps use a rotating impeller to create a centrifugal force that pushes fluid towards the outlet. In parallel configuration, the two pumps work simultaneously to increase the flow rate and reduce the load on each individual pump.

2. What are the benefits of using 2 identical parallel centrifugal pumps?

The main benefit is increased reliability and efficiency. If one pump fails, the other can continue to operate, reducing downtime. Additionally, parallel pumps can handle larger flow rates and have a longer lifespan compared to a single pump.

3. How are the pumps controlled in a parallel configuration?

The pumps can be controlled using a variable frequency drive (VFD) or a pump controller. These devices monitor the flow rate and pressure of the system and adjust the speed of the pumps accordingly to maintain a consistent flow rate.

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel configuration for centrifugal pumps?

In a series configuration, the pumps are connected in a single line, with the discharge of one pump feeding into the suction of the next pump. This increases the pressure but does not affect the flow rate. In a parallel configuration, the pumps are connected side by side, and the flow rate is increased while the pressure remains constant.

5. How do I determine the best configuration for my system?

The best configuration depends on the specific needs and requirements of your system. Factors such as flow rate, pressure, and reliability should be considered. It is best to consult with a pump expert or engineer to determine the most suitable configuration for your system.