1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 2 year gap after M.Sc , now want to do Ph.D

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    I need help. I completed my post graduation in 2015 material science, now it nearly 2 year gap want to do Ph.D . How can i start . i dont have GATE score, how can i apply for Ph.D.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2
    Hi, There! I did a similar thing by taking 2 years between my masters and PhD. I'm not sure what your particular situation is or what a GATE score is, but you would apply like you normally would if coming from undergrad. I spent time studying for the subject GRE to make sure I was competitive.

4. Apr 15, 2017 #3
    The toughest part may be to get the letters of recommendation (LOR) if the professors have only a vague memory of you. I took some time between undergrad and grad school. I took university graduate courses as a "special " student part time. I had to pay the tuition for these courses, ouch, because I was not supported, but I did get to know and impress the professors, and I later asked them for LOR's for grad school. It also had to take the GRE's again. It was a long arduous process, but it can be done.

5. Apr 15, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did it 25 years ago, it can be done....

6. Apr 15, 2017 #5
    2 years is nothing unless it is different in India.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted