2 year gap after M.Sc , now want to do Ph.D

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to pursue a PhD after a 2-year gap since completing their post graduation in 2015. They do not have a GATE score and are unsure of how to apply. Another person shares their experience of taking a break between their masters and PhD and recommends taking graduate courses to get letters of recommendation and retaking the GREs. They reassure that it is possible to pursue a PhD after a 2-year gap.
Sachin Desarada
I need help. I completed my post graduation in 2015 material science, now it nearly 2 year gap want to do Ph.D . How can i start . i don't have GATE score, how can i apply for Ph.D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, There! I did a similar thing by taking 2 years between my masters and PhD. I'm not sure what your particular situation is or what a GATE score is, but you would apply like you normally would if coming from undergrad. I spent time studying for the subject GRE to make sure I was competitive.

The toughest part may be to get the letters of recommendation (LOR) if the professors have only a vague memory of you. I took some time between undergrad and grad school. I took university graduate courses as a "special " student part time. I had to pay the tuition for these courses, ouch, because I was not supported, but I did get to know and impress the professors, and I later asked them for LOR's for grad school. It also had to take the GRE's again. It was a long arduous process, but it can be done.

2 years is nothing unless it is different in India.

1. What is the impact of a 2-year gap in pursuing a Ph.D after completing an M.Sc?

The impact of a 2-year gap after completing an M.Sc can vary depending on the individual's circumstances. However, it is generally seen as a positive aspect as it allows the individual to gain practical experience, explore other interests, and potentially strengthen their application for a Ph.D program.

2. Will my M.Sc degree still be relevant after a 2-year gap?

Yes, your M.Sc degree will still hold value after a 2-year gap. The gap may even enhance your skills and knowledge, making you a more competitive candidate for a Ph.D program.

3. How can I make the most of my 2-year gap to prepare for a Ph.D?

During the 2-year gap, you can participate in research projects, attend conferences, and publish any relevant papers. You can also take up internships or work in a related field to gain practical experience and strengthen your resume.

4. Will I need to provide any explanation for the 2-year gap in my Ph.D application?

It is not necessary to provide an explanation for the gap in your Ph.D application. However, you can mention any relevant experiences or skills gained during the gap in your application or during your interview.

5. How can I address any potential concerns about the 2-year gap in my Ph.D application?

If you are concerned about the impact of the 2-year gap on your application, you can address it by highlighting any relevant experiences, skills, or achievements during the gap. You can also explain how the gap has helped you gain a deeper understanding of your research interests and motivated you to pursue a Ph.D.