2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami relief response

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Anttech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rocks
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
Anttech
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Pakistan's president has appealed for international help, saying his country cannot deal with the aftermath of the massive earthquake on its own.

At least 19,000 people are thought to have been killed in Pakistan, and it is feared the toll could rise much higher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4324534.stm

EU: $3.6m
Australia: $380,000
UK: $177,000 and 60-strong team
US: $100,000
China: 49 rescuers, dogs, 17 tons of equipment
Japan: 50 rescue workers
Russia: 30 rescuers, sniffer dogs, special equipment
Germany: $60,000

Come on Bush! $100,000 from the biggest ecconomy in the world. I hope this is just the tip of the icebergh as international aid goes...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone want to guess how much Pakistan and India gave the US in response to Katrina ?

<<$1 million and $5 milion, respectively. [/color] >>

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3241
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Canada offered 300 thousand
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20051009/ca_pr_on_na/south_asia_quake_cda_2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The US amount was, last I heard, significantly raised above the initial 100.000.
Perhaps I'm wrong on this?

EDIT:
Ah, yes; US offers aid of various types up to the worth of 50 million dollars.
[PLAIN]http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/10/quake.us.response/index.html[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The US amount was, last I heard, significantly raised above the initial 100.000.
Perhaps I'm wrong on this?

EDIT:
Ah, yes; US offers aid of various types up to the worth of 50 million dollars.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/10/qua...nse/index.html

Good... well getting there at least
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Anyone want to guess how much Pakistan and India gave the US in response to Katrina ?

<<$1 million and $5 milion, respectively. [/color] >>

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3241

So Pakistan gave the US $1 million for Katrina, plus doctors and supplies.

As of this morning, the US gave Pakistan $50 million, plus they lent 8 helicopters.

I wonder what the discrepancy is when adjusted for population and GDP.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
Good... well getting there at least

So, how much to you require from the evil US superpower? :bugeye:
 
People throughout the world recognize that the US has good points and bad points. People throughout the world would like to see the bad points diminish and the good points blossom.
 
pattylou said:
People throughout the world would like to see the bad points diminish and the good points blossom.

I don't believe that is true at all. Show me the proof that everyone in the world wants to see the good points blossom and the bad points diminished.
 
Townsend said:
I don't believe that is true at all. Show me the proof that everyone in the world wants to see the good points blossom and the bad points diminished.

He's got a point. I see in these forums that people want to see the bad points exploited more than anything else.
 
TRCSF said:
So Pakistan gave the US $1 million for Katrina, plus doctors and supplies.

As of this morning, the US gave Pakistan $50 million, plus they lent 8 helicopters.

I wonder what the discrepancy is when adjusted for population and GDP.
The US GDP is about 35 times that of Pakistan (approx 12 trillion vs 350 billion).
 
Last edited:
Townsend said:
I don't believe that is true at all. Show me the proof that everyone in the world wants to see the good points blossom and the bad points diminished.
I didn't mean everybody. I meant you can find people everywhere ("throughout the world") that recognize the good and the bad in America; the point was that there was nothing inconsistent in Anttech's comment, at all.
 
pattylou said:
I didn't mean everybody. I meant you can find people everywhere ("throughout the world") that recognize the good and the bad in America; the point was that there was nothing inconsistent in Anttech's comment, at all.

And I don't believe that is true. I think it is just an appeal to emotion so please show me some proof.