231.12.3.19 angle between vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors, $v = -7i - j$ and $w = -i - 7j$. The speaker uses the dot product formula to calculate the angle and gets an approximate value of $73.74^o$. There is also a brief mention of cross-product and notation consistency.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{231.12.3.19}$
$\textsf{Given $v=-7i-j$ and $w=-i-7j$}\\$
$\textsf{find the angle between v and w}\\$
$\displaystyle
\frac{\left(-7, -1, 0\right)\cdot\left(-1, -7, 0\right)}
{\sqrt{50}\cdot \sqrt{50}}
=\frac{14}{50}\approx 0.28$
$\arccos(0.28)\approx 73.74^o$
$\textit{not sure if this is the answer but is cross product also solved with a matrix?}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks good to me.

What are the zeros for? Cross-product is 3-d. What you have here appears to be 2-d and you've used the dot product.

I see a lot of vector notation with z=0
thot i would join the club.;)

It is best to use the same notation as the problem. I would have written $\frac{(-7i- j)\cdot (-i- 7j)}{\sqrt{50}\sqrt{50}}$

Related to 231.12.3.19 angle between vectors

1. What is the definition of the angle between vectors?

The angle between vectors is the measure of the amount of rotation that is needed to bring one vector into alignment with the other vector. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle between vectors calculated?

The angle between vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((a · b) / (|a| |b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

3. Can the angle between vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between vectors can be negative if the vectors are pointing in opposite directions. In this case, the angle would be measured as a negative value.

4. What is the range of values for the angle between vectors?

The angle between vectors can range from 0° to 180° or from 0 to π radians, depending on the units used for measurement. It cannot exceed these values as it represents the maximum amount of rotation needed to align the vectors.

5. How is the angle between vectors used in real-life applications?

The concept of the angle between vectors is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate forces, determine the orientation of objects, and create 3D models and animations. It also has applications in navigation and GPS technology.