2d Kinematics Problem Final Velocity

In summary: The answer is definitely not -16.55558981. I think you have a sign error somewhere, because I think it should be positive.
Succession

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/fGYf0

Stuck on #3

Homework Equations

V = Vi + a*t
Y = (1/2)gt^2 + (ViY * t) + Yi

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the vertical and horizontal components and the initial velocity.
ViX = 6.2
ViY = 9.922
Vi = 11.7
Yf = 0
Yi = 7
Xi = 0
X = ?
Vf = ?
a (acceleration of gravity) = 9.8
(i = initial, f = final)

Answers to # 1 and # 2 are 9.922 and 5.0227 respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump: Any help here?

Welcome to PF Succession!

Succession said:
Bump: Any help here?

Part 3 asks you to find the magnitude of the velocity at the end of travel, just before the object hits the ground. Well, what is the horizontal component of this velocity, at the end of the trip? Hint: do any forces act in the horizontal direction?

Okay, how about the vertical component of the velocity at the end of the trip? How would you find that? Hint: what height is it falling from? You know the "initial" velocity when it starts falling (i.e. at the point of max height), the acceleration, and the distance that it falls. Can you think of an equation that would allow you to solve for the final velocity (at the end of the fall) given those three things?

cepheid said:
Welcome to PF Succession!

Part 3 asks you to find the magnitude of the velocity at the end of travel, just before the object hits the ground. Well, what is the horizontal component of this velocity, at the end of the trip? Hint: do any forces act in the horizontal direction?

Okay, how about the vertical component of the velocity at the end of the trip? How would you find that? Hint: what height is it falling from? You know the "initial" velocity when it starts falling (i.e. at the point of max height), the acceleration, and the distance that it falls. Can you think of an equation that would allow you to solve for the final velocity (at the end of the fall) given those three things?

Well the horizontal component of the initial velocity is 6.2, as given. I found the time (t) to be 2.578866342. Then I found Vy using Vy= gt + Viy, Vy = -15.35081607. Then I plugged my answer into a^2 + b^2 = c^2, Vy^2 + Vx^2 = V^2. -15.35081607^2 + 6.2^2 = V^2.
ended with -16.55558981. answer is still counted as incorrect, not sure where I went wrong, as one of my classmates used this same process and walked me through it and he got the answer right.

Succession said:
Well the horizontal component of the initial velocity is 6.2, as given. I found the time (t) to be 2.578866342.

I'm not sure what time this is supposed to be, but if it is the time required to reach the max height (starting from the moment of launch), then it is wrong, and it is not the time required to fall back down to the ground either. EDIT: I see, it looks like that might be the sum of those two times. But you didn't need time at all. Since you solved for the height in part 2 (and by the way you need to add the 7 m to that answer) you could have just used the equation vf2 = vi2 + 2ad. This is what I was strongly hinting at with my previous post.

Succession said:
Then I found Vy using Vy= gt + Viy, Vy = -15.35081607. Then I plugged my answer into a^2 + b^2 = c^2, Vy^2 + Vx^2 = V^2. -15.35081607^2 + 6.2^2 = V^2.
ended with -16.55558981. answer is still counted as incorrect, not sure where I went wrong, as one of my classmates used this same process and walked me through it and he got the answer right.

When you arrive at an answer, always always ask, "does this actually make any sense?" The magnitude of something can never be negative. What's more you definitely shouldn't have gotten a negative answer using Pythagoras, because the square of any number is always positive.

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem?

The formula for calculating final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem is Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How do you determine the direction of the final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem?

The direction of the final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem can be determined by considering the direction of the initial velocity and the direction of the acceleration. If the two are in the same direction, the final velocity will be in that direction as well. If they are in opposite directions, the final velocity will be in the direction of the larger force.

3. Can the final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem be negative?

Yes, the final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

4. How can I calculate the final velocity in a 2d kinematics problem if I only have the acceleration and time?

To calculate the final velocity in this scenario, you can use the formula Vf = at, where a is the acceleration and t is the time elapsed. This formula assumes that the initial velocity is 0.

5. What is the difference between final velocity and average velocity in a 2d kinematics problem?

Final velocity is the velocity at the end of a specific time period, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time elapsed. Average velocity takes into account any changes in velocity that may have occurred during the given time period, while final velocity only represents the velocity at the end of the time period.