Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D life form can exist with alimentary canal

1. Jun 29, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    as I read in one of Hawkings books, he predicted that a 2D life-form with an alimentary canal can not exist because it would fall apart. I was wondering about that, because I thought of an easy solution for this: with two movable chainings its still possible. I have made a graphic and attached it to this post. In general its a bit off-topic (sorry for that) but I wanted to get some feedback on it.
    Best regards, Martin

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your life-form would hinge open at one chaining when the other is open.
    What about shaping the canal like a loose-fitting jigsaw-puzzle piece?

To hold together it would still require some structural rigidity.

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    Yes, but thats only a design issue - you can build / design the chainings strong - maybe they build somehow the backbone of this life form - the graphic should just explain that there exist a way.

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could have lots of them along the canal too ... and you'd need to pay attention to how they hook together.

The two sides of the creature could have different charges ... the canal could be filled with a 2D version of a sticky jelly ... etc etc.

6. Jun 29, 2013 #5

MTd2

Gold Member

Amoeabas solved that. Just involve the food and push it inside in a sack.

7. Jun 29, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Amoebas are 3D life forms, a "sack" is a 3D container ... OP is talking about 2D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook