2D Motion Finding the resultant using components

In summary, the person walks 20m, 120m, 150m, and 30m in a total of 237m. Their final displacement is 16.4m.
Madara Uchiha

Homework Statement

A person walks 20m [N20(degrees)E], then 120m [N50(degrees)W], then 150m[W], and finally 30m [S75(degrees)E]. Find the person's final displacement.

Homework Equations

Is my solution correct? The textbook answers are 230m[N23(degrees)W]
What did I do incorrect? Explain please :/ :(

The Attempt at a Solution

*Horizontal Component*
(20m)cos70
-(120m)cos40
-150m
(30m)cos75

Total for horizontal component: -227m

*Vertical Component*
(20m)sin70
(120m)sin40
-(30m)sin75

Total for vertical component: 67m

Total displacement = sqrt(-227m^2)+(67m^2)
=237m

Direction: tan^-1(67m/227m)
=16.4

Answer= 237m[W16(degrees)N]

Physics news on Phys.org
c'mon someone must be here

D:

When you say "[N20(degrees)E]" do you mean 20 degrees North of East?

physicsvalk said:
When you say "[N20(degrees)E]" do you mean 20 degrees North of East?

yes

it basically says [N20E]

Expect the 20 has a degree subscript. I suck with reading degree's

It seems like you're first finding the compliment of the angle before you're breaking down the vector. If you do this, note that you're looking at the opposite angle and then the sine/cosine convention would change.

EDIT:
Try solving the problem by leaving the angles (instead of finding the compliment - which would just make things harder) they way they are and drawing out triangles to represent displacements in the x- and y-direction. Then, after you break down all of them, sum each x- and y- and take the vector sum.

Last edited:
physicsvalk said:
It seems like you're first finding the compliment of the angle before you're breaking down the vector. If you do this, note that you're looking at the opposite angle and then the sine/cosine convention would change.

EDIT:
Try solving the problem by leaving the angles (instead of finding the compliment - which would just make things harder) they way they are and drawing out triangles to represent displacements in the x- and y-direction. Then, after you break down all of them, sum each x- and y- and take the vector sum.

what do you mean?

My solution looks right...
I'm only off by 7m for the displacement but for the notation I got 16 degrees but it should be 23, idk how I'm off by that much.

Did you do the solution? :s

1. What is 2D motion?

2D motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions: horizontal and vertical. This means that the object can move both left and right, as well as up and down.

2. How is the resultant calculated in 2D motion?

The resultant in 2D motion is calculated by finding the vector sum of two or more individual vectors. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

3. What are components in 2D motion?

In 2D motion, components refer to the horizontal and vertical parts of a vector. These components are used to break down a vector into its x and y components, which can then be used to calculate the resultant vector.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector in 2D motion?

The magnitude of a vector in 2D motion can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components of the vector.

5. What is the importance of finding the resultant using components in 2D motion?

Finding the resultant using components in 2D motion allows us to accurately calculate the overall motion of an object in two dimensions. It also allows us to break down complex motions into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand the motion of an object.