Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd ODE, Reduction of Order, Basis known

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    I have a homework problem where I am to find y_2 for a 2nd ODE, with y_1=x.

I'm familiar with the process of:

let y_2 = ux

y_2- = u'x u

y_2'' = 2u' + u''x

substituting these terms into the 2ODE, then letting u' = v.

When integrating v and u' to solve for u, do I need to include integration constants at both steps?

I have a textbook that suggests that integration constants can be made redundant by choosing the 1 and 0 as their values.

However, I have lecture notes which seem to include integration constants in the final solution.

What's the correct approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

It depends upon what you want. If you include the constants of integration you will get something like: u(x)= Cf(x)+ D with C and D constants. Then, from y= ux, your solution is y(x)= (Cf(x)+ D)x= Cf(x)x+ Dx, the general solution to the original equation.

If the equation is linear and you do not include the constants of integration, you will get only u(x)= f(x) so that y(x)= f(x)x. But then you can say "I now have two independent solutions, f(x)x and x, to this linear equation so the general solution is Cf(x)x+ Dx" for any constants C and D. That gives exactly the same solution.
  4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook