(2s+3)([x y]) not sure exactly what we are supposed to do with the 3

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation with matrices and an unknown value. The equation is being corrected by adding a term with a coefficient of 3, which represents the identity operator. This operator simply multiplies the matrix by itself and keeps the original value. The conversation also mentions a previous calculation that was copied and pasted.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
ok I posted this on another thread
$(2S+3T)\left(\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \end{array}\right]\right)
= \left[\begin{array}{c}
2-4y \\ 6x-2y
\end{array}\right]
+3\left[\begin{array}{c}x+y \\ x-y\\2x+3y \end{array}\right]
=\left[\begin{array}{c}
2-4y \\ 6x-2y
\end{array}\right]
+\left[\begin{array}{c}3x+3y \\ 3x-3y\\6x+9y \end{array}\right]$ but the teacher said it was supposed to be $(2S+{\color{red}{\textbf{3}}})\left(\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \end{array}\right]\right)$
instead ... not sure exactly what we are supposed to do with the ${\color{red}{\textbf{3}}}$
2S was formerly calculated just c/p here

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
ok I posted this on another thread
$(2S+3T)\left(\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \end{array}\right]\right)
= \left[\begin{array}{c}
2-4y \\ 6x-2y
\end{array}\right]
+3\left[\begin{array}{c}x+y \\ x-y\\2x+3y \end{array}\right]
=\left[\begin{array}{c}
2-4y \\ 6x-2y
\end{array}\right]
+\left[\begin{array}{c}3x+3y \\ 3x-3y\\6x+9y \end{array}\right]$ but the teacher said it was supposed to be $(2S+{\color{red}{\textbf{3}}})\left(\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \end{array}\right]\right)$
instead ... not sure exactly what we are supposed to do with the ${\color{red}{\textbf{3}}}$
2S was formerly calculated just c/p here
You are overthinking again, I think.
\(\displaystyle 3 \left [ \begin{matrix} x \\ y \end{matrix} \right ] = \left [ \begin{matrix} 3x \\ 3y \end{matrix} \right ] \)

-Dan

sorry had a "duh" moment:cool:

A better way to write "2S+ 3" is "2S+ 3I" where "I" is the identity operator, Iv= v.

1. What is the purpose of multiplying (2s+3) with ([x y])?

The purpose of multiplying (2s+3) with ([x y]) is to distribute the terms of (2s+3) to each element in ([x y]), resulting in a new expression with expanded terms.

2. How do I solve for (2s+3)([x y]) if I am given specific values for s, x, and y?

To solve for (2s+3)([x y]) with specific values, simply replace the variables with their given values and use the distributive property to multiply the terms. For example, if s=2, x=5, and y=7, the expression would become (2(2)+3)([5 7]) = (4+3)([5 7]) = 7([5 7]) = [35 49].

3. Can I simplify (2s+3)([x y]) to a single term?

No, (2s+3)([x y]) cannot be simplified to a single term. It is already in its simplest form as it has been fully expanded and cannot be combined any further.

4. Is it possible to multiply (2s+3) with only one element, such as [x]?

Yes, it is possible to multiply (2s+3) with only one element, such as [x]. In this case, the expression would become (2s+3)([x]) = (2s)([x]) + (3)([x]) = [2sx 3x].

5. How does multiplying (2s+3) with ([x y]) relate to real-world applications?

Multiplying (2s+3) with ([x y]) can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the total cost of multiple items with a fixed price and a sales tax (represented by (2s+3)), or determining the total distance traveled by an object moving at a constant velocity ([x y]) over a certain period of time (represented by (2s+3)([x y])).