3 dimensional vector problem .

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the cosine of an angle a, between vector Rz and R, is equal to Rz/R. The suggested methods are using trigonometry or the dot product. The dot product method involves determining the angle between the components of R and using the definition of dot product.
ngkamsengpeter

Homework Statement

Given a vector R=Rx + Ry + Rz , prove that the cos a = Rz/R where a is the angle between vector Rz and R .

Homework Equations

I just don't know how to start .

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation isn't totally clear, but I'll assume you mean Rx, Ry and Rz to be perpendicular to each other. Then draw a triangle with sides R, Rz and Rx+Ry. Since Rz and Rx+Ry are perpendicular to each other this is a right triangle. And R is the hypotenuse. Now use trig.

Another way is to use the dot product, if you have had that in class. One definition of [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] is [itex]|\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Another, equivalent, definition is that the dot prouct of [itex]u_x\vec{i}+ u_y\vec{j}+ u_z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]v_x\vec{i}+ v_y\vec{j}+ v_z\vec{k}[/itex] is [itex]u_xv_x+ u_yv_y+ u_zv_z[/itex]. comparing those should give you then angle between [itex]R_x\vec{i}+ R_y\vec{j}+ R_z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]R_x\vec{i}[/itex].

What is a 3 dimensional vector?

A 3 dimensional vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction in 3-dimensional space. It is commonly denoted by three numbers (x, y, z) and can be used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

How do you add and subtract 3 dimensional vectors?

To add or subtract 3 dimensional vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector. For example, to add two vectors (a, b, c) and (d, e, f), the resulting vector would be (a + d, b + e, c + f). Similarly, to subtract two vectors (a, b, c) and (d, e, f), the resulting vector would be (a - d, b - e, c - f).

What is the dot product of 3 dimensional vectors?

The dot product of two 3 dimensional vectors is a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of each vector and adding them together. The resulting value is a measure of the similarity between the two vectors.

What is the cross product of 3 dimensional vectors?

The cross product of two 3 dimensional vectors is another vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the two vectors and the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. The resulting vector is orthogonal to the plane formed by the two original vectors.

How can 3 dimensional vectors be used in real-world applications?

3 dimensional vectors have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to describe the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and the shape and orientation of 3D objects. In computer graphics, they are often used to represent points, directions, and transformations in 3D space.