1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 dimensional vector problem .

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a vector R=Rx + Ry + Rz , prove that the cos a = Rz/R where a is the angle between vector Rz and R .

2. Relevant equations
    I just don't know how to start .

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation isn't totally clear, but I'll assume you mean Rx, Ry and Rz to be perpendicular to each other. Then draw a triangle with sides R, Rz and Rx+Ry. Since Rz and Rx+Ry are perpendicular to each other this is a right triangle. And R is the hypotenuse. Now use trig.

4. Jul 31, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way is to use the dot product, if you have had that in class. One definition of [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] is [itex]|\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Another, equivalent, definition is that the dot prouct of [itex]u_x\vec{i}+ u_y\vec{j}+ u_z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]v_x\vec{i}+ v_y\vec{j}+ v_z\vec{k}[/itex] is [itex]u_xv_x+ u_yv_y+ u_zv_z[/itex]. comparing those should give you then angle between [itex]R_x\vec{i}+ R_y\vec{j}+ R_z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]R_x\vec{i}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?