3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming

In summary, Huygen is looking for a free or inexpensive finite element software that when he gives it an input manually it will display the correct picture right there. He is also looking for a program that can interpolate results from points into an area.
optics.tech
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get any programming for finite element in 3d object not calculation but for the display such as cad (e.g. meshing display)?

Also what software that can do above operation?

I mean, not ansys, nastran, algor, etc., but other that I can make it by myself by my own fe formulas.

Thanks

Huygen

Engineering news on Phys.org
Finite element is typically referred to as the application of said principles to solve engineering problems. If you simply want to display a set nodes, with the ability to zoom,rotate and pan, then you have a computer science, programming problem.

Something like this could be made diluted with something as simple as Flash. Most FE file inputs have element numbers with associated connected nodes. You then plot the nodes using 3D transformations to determine the associated 2D screen position and "draw" lines between them. You can then draw areas using bounded lines and shade them accordingly.

Can I ask why you would like to do this? Seems like an awful lot of work that people have already done for you.

Are you talking about actual pre-processing or just visualisation?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Can I ask why you would like to do this? Seems like an awful lot of work that people have already done for you.
I already know that there are many finite element software(s) e.g. ansys, etc., but the price is very expensive for single person like me.

Are you talking about actual pre-processing or just visualisation?

I am not really sure what is the difference between pre-processing and visualization. But I am looking for not-too-expensive finite element software that when I give it an input manually it will display the correct picture right there should be.

For example, the companion cd rom from most of finite element oriented textbooks is some of finite element programming using vbasic, fortran, excel, c++, etc., however, cmiiw, it is used for the calculation not for the display such as mesh/discretization display.

Thanks

Huygen

Well you are asking for alot. Modern FEA programs use a combiation of Fortran, C++, and other languages. A simple viewing program would require the ability to access all of the nodal/element information in order to display a nice color plot of the nodal solution. A picture does not appear without the needed data. Also, I am assuming that the "pretty picture" plot is what you are after but there are vector plots, element plots, and numerous others. Also, do you want to be able to produce a graph from the plot ?

Gmsh/salomé combined with Code_Aster is a free good alternative. Salomé-MECA even comes with a coupling with Code_Aster. That'll force you to learn a thing or two about FEA, I know it did with me :)

Quite honestly, it might be easier to develop an actual simple FE solver rather than the visualization. When you think about it, the finite element process is "simple" matrix algebra. Boundary conditions are enforced on the RHS, and much work is done in solve the extremely large, sparse matrix on the LHS.

However, for visualization, you'll need a way to interpolate results as well as display them. You are solving for a discrete set of points, yet you wish to see solid color bands. You need a way to interpolate results from points into an area.

Honestly, I would still look for some sort or trial or student version. Most of them can be gotten (legally even) for quite cheaply.

optics.tech: Calculix is free. See if that helps you.

1. What is 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming?

3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations in three-dimensional space. It involves dividing the three-dimensional domain into smaller subdomains, called elements, and approximating the solution of the equation by using a piecewise polynomial function.

2. What are the main components of 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming?

The main components of 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming are the geometry, mesh generation, element formulation, assembly, and solution techniques. Geometry refers to the three-dimensional shape of the problem, mesh generation involves dividing the domain into smaller elements, element formulation determines the mathematical equations for each element, assembly combines the element equations to form a global system, and solution techniques solve the system to obtain the solution.

3. What are the advantages of using 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming?

3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming offers numerous advantages, including the ability to handle complex geometries, the flexibility to model different physical phenomena, and the ability to capture local variations in the solution. It also allows for efficient use of computational resources and can provide accurate solutions with relatively small computational efforts.

4. What are the limitations of 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming?

Although 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It can be computationally expensive, especially for large-scale problems, and requires significant user input in terms of mesh generation and element formulation. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying mathematics and may not be suitable for all types of problems.

5. How is 3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming used in real-world applications?

3-Dimensions Finite Element Programming is widely used in various fields, including structural engineering, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and electromagnetics. It is used to analyze and design complex structures, simulate fluid flow and heat transfer, and optimize designs for various engineering applications. It is also used in the development of computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) software.