Free Finite Element Analysis Software

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for good and free finite element analysis software. The participants suggest using NASTRAN or Google to find options and mention that the "goodness" of each software is subjective and may depend on GUI. They also mention that personal recommendations can be more helpful in this search.
anonME
Anyone know of some good, free finite element analysis software?
I used NASTRAN in college, but from what I can tell that costs at least several thousand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends. What type of problems will you be analyzing with the software?

SteamKing said:
It depends. What type of problems will you be analyzing with the software?

Vibrational and stress analysis

Google has the answer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_finite_element_software_packages

As for the "goodness" of each software, this is a subjective opinion, so you have to try some yourself. I guess all the above software's solves the equations in question in a proper manner so, the "goodness" may depend on GUI etc. And this is what you mainly pay for in a commercial software, so don't get your hopes to high when is comes to open source. But I might be mistaken.

SirAskalot said:

Yes, I've searched via Google and come across the Wikipedia list before.

I was looking for more personal recommendations based upon what people here have used instead of trying a dozen different programs. Just because someone is asking something, it doesn't mean they haven't done any looking themselves.

Last edited:

1. What is finite element analysis software?

Finite element analysis (FEA) software is a computer program used to simulate and analyze the behavior of a physical system or structure. It uses the finite element method, a numerical technique, to break down a complex system into smaller, simpler parts that can be easily analyzed.

2. Is free FEA software as effective as paid software?

It depends on the specific software and its features. While paid FEA software often has more advanced capabilities and technical support, there are some free options that can be just as effective for certain applications.

3. What are some examples of free FEA software?

Some popular free FEA software options include CalculiX, Elmer, FreeFEM, and Gmsh. These programs offer a range of capabilities and are suitable for a variety of applications and industries.

4. What are the benefits of using free FEA software?

One of the main benefits of using free FEA software is cost savings. Paid software can be expensive, especially for smaller companies or individual users. Free software also allows for more flexibility and customization, as users can modify the source code to fit their specific needs.

5. Are there any limitations to using free FEA software?

As with any software, there may be limitations to using free FEA software. These can include a lack of technical support, fewer features compared to paid software, and potential compatibility issues with other programs. It's important to thoroughly research and test the software before using it for critical or complex projects.